Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
RuaanP
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ruaan Pretorius

Windows repository share between 2 VBR servers

Post by RuaanP »

Good day
We need to temporarily share a windows repository between 2 VBR servers.
Currently the one VBR server is also the Windows repository server (dual role)
Would it cause issues if I add the Windows repository server (also VBR1 server) to the VBR2 server as a Windows Repository server?
Advise will be appreciated
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Windows repository share between 2 VBR servers

Post by PetrM »

Hi Ruaan,

From my perspective, it is one of the "worst" practices of backup infrastructure management, especially taking into account that the repository has the role of the backup server. At least, you can encounter issues related to components upgrade triggered by both Veeam B&R servers. It's very difficult to guarantee stable functioning of services on both servers, I wouldn't do this. What problem are you trying to solve? Let's try to find another workaround.

Thanks!
RuaanP
Influencer

Post by RuaanP »

Hi Petr
Thanks for the response
It will be temporarily only for migration purposes. Client is doing a infrastructure refresh and as migrations are happening in the next 2 weeks each successfully migrated VM currently begin backed up by VBR1 (old VBR) will be removed from VBR1 (old VBR) backup job and added in VBR2 (new VBR) backup job.
New environment is iSCSI, not SAN, thus the physical VBR1 (old VBR) has the FC connected storage to the backup array and we need this storage space for VBR2 (new VBR) as well for the conversion.
Once migrations are completed and the migrated VMs are all in a backup job in VBR2 (new VBR) then the old physical server will become solely a Windows repository server, not dual role anymore, Veeam will be uninstalled on it.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

I'm not sure that I understand the purpose to keep VBR2 throughout the migration process. You can manage everything from VBR1 and create new jobs on VBR1, for example by deploying a proxy server in the remote site instead of using VBR2. Once the infrastructure migration is done, you can migrate configuration database from VBR1 to VBR2.

Thanks!
RuaanP
Influencer

Post by RuaanP » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Petr, advice noted