Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mporliod
Expert
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: massimiliano porliod

change repository

Post by mporliod »

Hello I wanted some advice, I have a physical server repository, where the veeam server is also installed, where I make the primary and secondary copies of virtual machines present on a vmware cluster (2 hosts).
A virtual proxy is present on the vmware cluster.
Since I have no more space on the repository, I bought a second physical server where I will only make the first backup copies and the second copies I will keep on the old repository.
Can I use the existing proxy to make the new backups on the new repository? or do I have to do some new ones? because my technician tells me that he needs new proxies to handle the transition.
I would like to save on windows licenses
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: change repository

Post by PetrM »

Hi Massimiliano,

Do I get it right that by "primary copies" you mean backup jobs and by "secondary copies" you mean backup copy jobs? You can use the existing proxy for new jobs pointed to a new repository. Usually, new proxies are required to maintain a higher number of parallel tasks which remains unchanged in your case, as far as I understand, therefore the need for new proxies is not clear.

Thanks!
mporliod
Expert
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: massimiliano porliod

Post by mporliod »

I confirm what you wrote, I don't even understand why I can't use existing proxies. Maybe because for a while I keep the first copies on the old server until the retention is over? for a fact of restoration?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

So far, I don't see how it's related. I think it would be best to ask your colleague who asked for new proxies to give you more information regarding this request.

Thanks!
barlid
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Barli Dharmajaya

Post by barlid » 1 person likes this post

mporliod wrote: Sep 16, 2022 3:46 pm I confirm what you wrote, I don't even understand why I can't use existing proxies. Maybe because for a while I keep the first copies on the old server until the retention is over? for a fact of restoration?
It should be no issue when you use existing proxy to backup image to new repository, like Petr said, You just need modify your backup job configuration.

Thanks