Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
adam900331
Veteran
Liked: 22 times

Instant VM recovery process question

Post by adam900331 »

Hy!

I am not clear something about the instant VM recovery. I know that the instant VM recovery use the vPower NFS. There is an IRCache folder which contain the redo log (write cache). But when I start the instant VM recovery process, I see the attached datastore to the ESXi, it is the NFS datastore on the mount server. Where store this NFS datastore on mount server? Is there any pointer to point in the backup file?

Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2879 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Instant VM recovery process question

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I'm not 100% sure what the question is, but I try to answer it.

As you already described correctly, the write cache in is in the Instant recovery write cache folder on the Mount server. The mount server acts as NFS datastore for VMware.

The data itself is on the repository.

Which problem do you try to solve? Or what is the background of the question?

Best regards,
Hannes
adam900331
Veteran

Post by adam900331 »

Hy!

My question is not related to any problem. Only I would like to understand technically, when I create an instant VM recovery, an NFS datastore appear in ESXi. This NFS datastore include the affected VM files. The question is (that not clear for me), where store these files on the mount server, which is in NFS datastore. So can I browse it in the mount server? Or what i see on NFS datastore, these VM files is located in backup file?
barlid
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Barli Dharmajaya

Post by barlid » 2 people like this post

Hi Adam,

For Instant Recovery, vPower NFS emulates the presence of VMDK files on the vPower NFS datastore where the VMDK files themselves are still located in the backup file in the backup repository. It emulated VMDK files function as pointers to the real VMDK files in the backup repository and remains in read-only state.

You can't find this data exist in mount server since real data in backup repository. vPower folder path will put all changes to virtual disks take place.
adam900331
Veteran

Post by adam900331 »

Thanks, now its clear for me.