Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
TWuser
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: TW

"Transform....into rollbacks" showing in Veeam v11

Post by TWuser »

I was working at one of our sites, and noticed "Transform previous backup chains into rollbacks" checkbox was an option when creating a new job.

I haven't seen this for a while, and I thought was was deprecated starting with version 11.
The server is running version 11.0.1.1261 P20220302.

Should I be concerned that an update perhaps failed? I know that option still shows on existing jobs that were previously created, but this is when creating a new job.
barlid
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Barli Dharmajaya

Re: "Transform....into rollbacks" showing in Veeam v11

Post by barlid » 1 person likes this post

Hi TW,

I'm using same version on my client, I didn't see this option when configure new backup job, When I check this link
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

I find this note
Veeam Backup & Replication version 11, this option is deprecated. However, the transformation functionality is still working for backup jobs where the Transform previous backup chains into rollbacks option was already enabled.
I think it occurred because you still have existing job which enable this function.

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello folks,

Yes, the described behavior is correct - transform previous backup chains into rollbacks option is 'phasing out' and visible for old pre-v11 jobs whenever it was configured. Please keep in mind that upcoming v12 upgrade will require you to disable this option manually prior installing the upgrade.
What’s new in v11? wrote:Deprecated features — The “Transform previous backup chains into rollbacks” functionality has been deprecated, so the corresponding checkbox is no longer present in the user interface for newly created jobs. If you need help with transitioning away from this backup mode, please share your use case on the Veeam R&D Forums. We plan to remove this capability completely in our next major release in 2022.
What’s new in v11
barlid
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Barli Dharmajaya

Post by barlid »

Okay Noted... Thanks Dmitry
TWuser
Enthusiast

Post by TWuser » 1 person likes this post

That's the thing, like I originally said, this was a "newly created job" and it still showed the option.

Other existing jobs have the Transform enabled, so if old jobs just existing changes the options for new jobs then that makes sense, but that's not very clear in the documentation and is opposite of the "is no longer present in the user interface for newly created jobs" that Dima quoted.

Once we get the jobs migrated I guess we can delete the old jobs which have the option enabled and see if the option disappears after that for "newly created" jobs.

Not a big deal, just wasn't expecting to see that option at all when creating a new job from scratch with v11.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

TWuser,

Thanks for the heads-up! Please ignore this option and do not plan your backup strategy around it, even if there is a minor bug and this option was accidentally displayed for your backup job - v12 wont support it completely.
TWuser
Enthusiast

Post by TWuser » 1 person likes this post

Will do, thanks for the verification.