Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
sfaits
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times

Moving most recent Full to new storage and then pushing to tape

Post by sfaits »

My current setup has several jobs backing up around 200 virtual machines (some daily, some weekly) to disk and then once a month I push the most recent full backup to tape. This has been working pretty well for a while but now as the amount of data to push to tape grows the strain on the storage is starting to interfere with the normal backup to disk jobs.

I have an additional storage device (older Tegile/Tintri hybird array) that was I thinking about using to push the most recent full backups to each month then pushing this data to tape.
I am just not sure of the best way to go about this.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
barlid
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Barli Dharmajaya

Re: Moving most recent Full to new storage and then pushing to tape

Post by barlid »

Hi Sfaits,

Could you please elaborate what you want to achieve with this additional storage device?

Thanks
sfaits
Enthusiast

Post by sfaits »

Once a month I would like to copy the latest full backups to another repo on another storage device. Then once that is complete run my tape backups against the data on that storage device.
barlid
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Barli Dharmajaya

Post by barlid »

Hello sfaits,

I'm not sure we can only move full backup files to other different repo (may be you can use file-copy job to do this), however In my opinion, we can have these scenario for alternative:
1. Create new repository from additional storage.
2. Move some backup from existing backup job to new repository (https://www.veeam.com/kb1729), later on you can modify the backup job to use new Repo created. So existing repo will have more available capacity.
3. Last, Create backup to Tape job with monthly schedule, ensure option Archive incremental backups to tape is unchecked to make only full backup file store in tape.

Hope this could help you :D

Thanks,
barli
sfaits
Enthusiast

Post by sfaits »

Thank you for the suggestions barlid, i will see how they work out with our in house brainstorming.