Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
chmichael
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Windows 11 22H2 problems

Post by chmichael »

Hello,
After upgrading to Windows 11 22H2 (from previous windows 11) the agent can't take a vss snapshot.

Any ideas ?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Windows 11 22H2 problems

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello chmichael,

Please raise a support case and share the case ID with us. I'll ask QA team to check the logs. Thank you!
chmichael
Novice

Post by chmichael »

case id: 05642599

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Thank you. Asked support team to investigate the logs, stay tuned!
chmichael
Novice

Post by chmichael »

I've also uninstalled/installed and recreate the job nothing!

Thank you
billybigbrains
Novice
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Bill Leeney

Post by billybigbrains » 5 people like this post

Hello. I'm using the free version of Veeam Agent and had exactly the same symptom. It was caused not by Veeam but by BitDefender Total Security. The bypass for me was to add two exceptions to BitDefender Advanced Threat Defense. Go into BitDefender console. Choose Protection, open Advanced Threat Defense, choose Settings tab and add two exceptions:
c:\program files\veeam\endpoint.flr.exe (exception from Advanced Threat Defense) and the same for c:\program files\veeam\endpoint.manager.exe.
With these two exceptions in place, backup works (endpoint.manager.exe) and file level restore works (endpoint.flr.exe)

If you are happy to use a more coarse bypass you could just turn off BitDefender Advanced Threat Defense feature.

I found the necessary info originally recorded here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BitDefender/co ... nning_the/

I hope this helps!
Cheers
Bill Leeney
chmichael
Novice

Post by chmichael » 1 person likes this post

Yeap! BitDefender Advanced Threat Defense was the problem! Thank you Bill! :)
stevem
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve McCandlish

Post by stevem »

Thanks but I am not using BitDefender. Using MWB which I am going to disable to see if that allows me to start the service.
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Post by Zew »

What I find amusing about this whole thing is how all these points are a pain in any sysadmins job for years, and are still to this day:

1) Security product breaking functionality.
2) The challenge between security/functionality.
3) An update breaking something instead of fixing it.

What is icing on the cake is that all experts and devs in these forms had no idea what the problem is, and it was answered by a total new member to the forms by non other than a reddit thread.

Lets all be truthful here the real hero of the day is Reddit. Thanks Bill for the share and Welcome to the community, I hope you bring more answers to future issue we all know will happen :).
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello folks,

Thank you Bill for updating the thread with a solution and glad to hear that all works as expected once the antivirus exclusions are configured.

Just to make sure we are at the same page - correct paths for Veeam Agent FLR/Manager executables are (if you are going to exclude those):

C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.FLR.exe
C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.Manager.exe

Additional idea is to keep the C:\Program Files\Veeam\ whitelisted as recommended in Antivirus Exclusions for Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows.
billybigbrains
Novice
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Bill Leeney

Post by billybigbrains »

Hi DimaP
Yes, the paths you suggest to the executables are the ones that I have defined as exceptions. Sorry for any confusion - I mis-typed them earlier in this thread. It isn't possible to define them incorrectly in the BitDefender exception list - you have to navigate to the executable path and select a specific executable each time, so you can't add an exception for a non-existent location.
Similarly, with respect to your additional idea, you unfortunately can't add a Directory-type exception to BitDefender's Advanced Threat Defense (ATD) feature. You can only exclude individual executables from ATD scan. BitDefender can have Exceptions for ATD and separately for core AV and Online Threat Prevention functions. I don't have any exceptions for Veeam in those other sections and everything works fine now. Only ATD is affected.
Zew: The really bad thing about this is that at no stage does BitDefender raise an alert or warning message of any type. It appears simply to cause the "offending" process to end! There is nothing useful in Windows Event Logs. So, from a user's perspective, it's really hard to know how to start reporting the problem. The only symptom is in Veeam. The only change was to upgrade Windows 11 to 22H2. There was no reason for anyone to suspect BitDefender. It was pure luck that someone already found the answer.
Thanks for the welcome, and good luck to all of you!
Bill
(Retired Software Technical Support agent for Software AG, Derby)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thank you for the details Bill!
you unfortunately can't add a Directory-type exception to BitDefender's Advanced Threat Defense (ATD) feature. You can only exclude individual executables from ATD scan. BitDefender can have Exceptions for ATD and separately for core AV and Online Threat Prevention functions. I don't have any exceptions for Veeam in those other sections and everything works fine now. Only ATD is affected.
That's a great feedback actually, thank you! I'll ask our KB team to list the path to executable every file due to this BitDefender limitation.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Kudos to Veeam Support: the article has been updated, folks actually confirmed that the mentioned solution perfectly works for Veeam Agent for Windows users with BitDefender. Thanks again Bill!
MiGabri
Influencer

Post by MiGabri »

Hi,

i'am in similar condition with McAfee Lifesave on a win10 22H2 pc, but it did not solve for me to exclude from real time scan:
C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.FLR.exe
C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup\Veeam.EndPoint.Manager.exe

i also am in the condition i cannot exclude folders from real time scanning but only single files;

also disabling anti-virus real time protection did not let Veeam to take VSS Snapshot, the backup job hangs on that step;

regards;
Michele Gabriele
Italy
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

MiGabri,

This is a new issue, so can you please open a support case and share the case ID with us? Thank you!
MiGabri
Influencer

Post by MiGabri »

@Dima P.

I did but my support case was automatically closed without a solution.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Can you please send me your case id? Thank you!