Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Kazuha
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Kaedehara Kazuha

[BUG]REFS volume not working properly on latest Windows11 22H2

Post by Kazuha »

Hey everyone!

Recently I updated my System to Windows 11 22H2, and my refs volume also updated to REFS v3.9(fsutil fsinfo refsinfo <driveletter>)
But when I tried to backup up my files to tape, Veeam said:
2022/9/26 14:02:26 :: Task E:\myfile.pdf completed with warning. Details: The volume repair was not successful.
and not backing up my files.
However, my hard drive performs well and I can open my file in explorer with no error.

How can that be?
According to Test #1: Single ReFS Drive in https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/co ... y_bit_rot/ if a file in refs volume is corrupted, Windows may prevent me from opening the file, but I can still open the file with integrity feature enabled(Get-Item "E:\myfile.pdf" | Set-FileIntegrity -Enable $True)
although Veeam reported: "The volume repair was not successful."

This indicated my file is not corrupted but Veeam still reported my file is corrupted, how can I ignore this error and complete the backup?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2282 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: [BUG]REFS volume not working properly on latest Windows11 22H2

Post by Mildur »

Hi Kaedehara

Do you have a case number for this technical issue?
It's possible that they are bugs or issues with Windows 11 22H2. Veeam doesn't support it officially yet.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Kazuha
Enthusiast

Post by Kazuha »

OH Hello, Fabian!

Sorry I forgot to take the Case ID :(
Case #05643733

Sincerely
Kaedehara
Kazuha
Enthusiast

Post by Kazuha »

Mildur wrote: Sep 26, 2022 8:51 am It's possible that they are bugs or issues with Windows 11 22H2. Veeam doesn't support it officially yet.
What's more, if it's a bug of Windows 11 22H2, will Veeam fix it? If yes, how soon?
And is there anyone who has the same issue?

Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Kaedehara

We always try to support newer OS version within 90 days after GA release. If there is no bigger issue, then support can come faster, if there were to much changes in the new OS version, it can also take longer. GA release was on the 20th September 2022. So it can take some time, if it's a bug on our side.

One question, is this about Agent/VM Backup or installing Veeam Backup & Replication on a Windows 11 22H2 Computer?

Thanks
Fabian
Kazuha
Enthusiast

Post by Kazuha »

Nice to meet you again, Fabian!

It's Veeam Backup & Replication installed on my Windows 11 22H2 personal computer, I use it to backup files to my tape drive.

Thanks!
Kaedehara
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Kaedehara

Thanks. My personal expectation is, that we support Windows 11 22H2 as an operating system with Veeam V12. There will be no new VBR version before V12.
Let's hope our support find some time to check your case. For our free and community edition products we only provide support on best effort. And this case requires analyzing the debug logs through our support team.

Thanks
Fabian
Kazuha
Enthusiast

Post by Kazuha »

Hi Fabian!

Thank you and all the Veeam development team!
I'm not sure whether this bug is a reproducible bug or it's just my computer's fault. Thanks for investigating it!

Oh, btw, is VBR v12 going to be released later in the year? Is there a more accurate release date?
And does VBR v12 still provide a community version?
I feel worried that I can't backup my files safely during this gap :(

And can I upgrade to v12 smoothly with my original backup jobs when v12 releases?

Thanks a million :D
Kaedehara
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Our plan is to release the the RTM version of V12 end of this year.
It will have a community edition like V11. No changes here, you will still have the 10 free licenses like now.
May I ask, are you using Windows 11 for Workstations on the VBR server, because you have reFS volumes?
Or does the Windows 11 VBR Server backup the files over the network from another machine which has a windows server OS?

For future updates, I can only recommend to check compatibility lists for any installed software before updating major components like the operating system. I would suggest a downgrade of your windows 11 installation, but if you downgrade to the earlier version, chances that you will not be able to read your reFS volume are there. If the reFS driver was updated with the windows 11 22H2 update, then you will not be able to read that data after a downgrade. You will have to format the entire reFS volume.
Kazuha
Enthusiast

Post by Kazuha »

Hi Fabian,

My computer runs the VBR server and client on the same computer running Windows 11 for Workstations and I have a refs volume on it,
which means all the work is done by the same computer.

And speaking of reformatting the drive, if I copy all my files to a temp disk, then I downgrade my system to 21H2 and reformat refs volume, and then copy all my files back to the refs volume, not changing the physical disk and drive letter,
will Veeam recognize the refs disk as the old drive and continue incremental backup or Veeam will found it's a new disk and execute a full backup? (If I use the same tape in the backup job)

Thanks!
Kazuha
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

I'm not sure if the VBR server will survive a downgrade of the OS system. To be sure and have a workaround id it fails, I would do the following steps with the configuration backup as a start:
- Create a configuration backup of Veeam: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
- Copy the configuration backup to a temporary disk
- Copy all backups from the reFS volume to the temporary disk (If you have used FastClone before, your Backups will be copied with their entire size and not with the space savings from our FastClone feature. This can be an issue for your storage, if you have many synthentic full backups.)
- Downgrade the system
- reformat the drive, if it's not recognized by windows (happens, if the driver version is lower than the one from Win11 22H2)
- Copy back all the backup files
- Check if Veeam can be opened and works as expected

If Veeam cannot be opened, uninstall veeam, uninstall the sql server and reinstall VBR completely from the beginning. Then import the configuration backup you have created in the first step.
If you had to copy back all files and want to use FastClone again on the reFS volume, an active full backup or backup file compaction is required to use FastClone with manually copied backup files.

Before you start with a downgrade, could you please check if you face a similar error like the one from this post?
post464242.html#p464242

Try to exclude all veeam services and paths from the antivirus. Just to be sure if it could be a similar issue.
https://www.veeam.com/kb1999

Thanks
Fabian
Kazuha
Enthusiast

Post by Kazuha »

Hi Fabian,

1)
Mildur wrote: - Copy all backups from the reFS volume to the temporary disk (If you have used FastClone before, your Backups will be copied with their entire size and not with the space savings from our FastClone feature. This can be an issue for your storage, if you have many synthetic full backups.)
If you had to copy back all files and want to use FastClone again on the reFS volume, an active full backup or backup file compaction is required to use FastClone with manually copied backup files.
Sorry I don't understand these two sentenses :oops:
I use "File to tape" Job to backup my files. This is the first time I hear of "FastClone", is this tech similar to copying files in explorer, what's the difference between them?
And do you mean that I should use FastClone to copy my files from reFS volume to a temp drive, then I use FastClone again to copy my files to formatted reFS volume again, so Veeam will recognize the volume and continue using incremental backup to the tape?
If I only use the "copy and paste" function in the explorer, will Veeam recognize: these old files are the ones that have already backed up to the tape?

2)
Mildur wrote: Before you start with a downgrade, could you please check if you face a similar error like the one from this post?
I haven't installed BitDefender on my computer and there is no problem during creating VSS snapshot in my case, it works fine!
My problem is, while file backuping period, Veeam will say "Task E:\myfile.pdf completed with warning. Details: The volume repair was not successful." and the software just stuck and I had to press the eject button on the tape drive.

3)
Good news! I have found a temporary solution to this problem!
I found that each time I open the file that Veeam can't read, in the next time, the file will not assert error any more and it can be backed up successfully, which means once the file is read, it will become a normal file and won't cause error any more.
So I tried reading every file I want to backup by selecting these files and using 7-zip hash calculate tool, then Veaam can backup these file with no error!
I think maybe Veeam can't process the metadata in reFS 3.9 or MS made some mistakes when upgrading my reFS volume, and opening the file can "refresh" the file state to the normal state.
But this is not the best solution because read all the files are quite time-comsuming, I hope Veeam will fix this small bug :)

Thanks!
Kaedehara
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Kaedehara

I assumed, that you have also a backup repository on your reFS volume. reFS volumes related to a VBR server are normally used as a FastClone enabled backup repository. But in your case, you use the reFS volume as a data volume for your own private data and not as a backup repository. So you can ignore the part about the FastClone.
I hope Veeam will fix this small bug
It's not sure yet, if it's a veeam or microsoft bug or just bad luck in the upgrade.
That must be first analyzed by our support.
hbilke
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Post by hbilke »

Hi,

Try from the CMS aus Admin

Copy "File" NULL

NULL is a Special device within Windows OS it works Like a black Hole and is faster than any storage device.

If this works - Just Copy the whole Partition w/xcopy to NULL

Cheers
hRy
I