Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Andre

Changing Teams Backup to Graph API -> Losing Legcy Backup for Exchange Option

Post by agrob »

Good Day

If i enable VBO Server and Repo for Teams Backup with MS Graph API, i lose also the availability to access Exchange via Legacy Authentication to Backup Public Folder etc? Is that true? At least is what i have discovered. The Legacy Auth Option is greyed out when i edit the Organization. -> What are the options to get Public Folder Backup working again?Also i have not read something about loosing the legacy option for Exchange Backup in the KB4340. At least for me it is not written that clear. it only referes to Teams...

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Changing Teams Backup to Graph API -> Losing Legcy Backup for Exchange Option

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Andre

Yes, to use the Protected Teams API, you must configure the organization in VB365 with Modern App-Only Authentication.
This step will be necessary independent from the Teams API after October 1st, when Microsoft starts disabling Basic Auth for all Tenants.
What are the options to get Public Folder Backup working again?
Unfortunately, currently there is no way to backup Public Folder with Modern App-Only Authentication. We are in talk with microsoft, but there will be no solution until Microsoft starts disabling basic auth. I recommend to migrate the public folder to shared mailboxes, which can be protected. Shared Mailboxes are free to backup. They don't require a VB365 license.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
agrob
Veteran

Re: Changing Teams Backup to Graph API -> Losing Legcy Backup for Exchange Option

Post by agrob »

Hi Fabian

Thanks for your Feedback. We are in the process to move away from PF but will it will take some months... I hoped we have another option but then i'll wait with configuring graph api for teams as long as possible until ms does disable legacy auth.

Best Regards
André
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Andre

In case the migration takes a little bit longer than Oct 1st, you can do a one time re-enablement of Basic Auth. This will allow to use Basic Auth until end of December 2022.
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ ... -p/3609437

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
agrob
Veteran

Post by agrob »

Thanks!