Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
mporliod
Expert
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: massimiliano porliod

object storage

Post by mporliod »

good morning with veeam type perpetual edition standard is it possible to backup on object storage?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: object storage

Post by Mildur »

Hi Massimiliano

No, at least Enterprise is required.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mporliod
Expert

Post by mporliod »

Hello guys I have a doubt, does the retention on object storage have to be the same as the retention of the primary job?
that is, I have a retention on the first copy of 14 restore points can I set a retention of 7 restore points on the copy made on object storage?

thank you
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Massimiliano

To answer your question, yes, in a SOBR, the retention for performance, capacity and archive tier will be taken from the backup or backup copy job. You can configure to keep less restore points on the performance tier or move GFS restore Points away from capacity tier to the archive tier.
But with a retention of 14 days, I would just keep them on the capacity tier. I don't believe, that you see much difference in used storage between keeping 7 or 14 days of restore points in the capacity tier, especially if object lock is used.

In V12, you will be able todo a backup copy job directly to Object storage with a different retention as the primary job.

Thanks
Fabian
mporliod
Expert

Post by mporliod »

So the restore points of the primary job must be the same as the restore points of the object storage?
retention must be the same.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

If you configure to keep 14 restore points with weekly GFS backups, your performance tier will have 2-3 full backups and approx. 18 incremental backups. Your object storage will have 14-21 restore points. Just one full backup and changed blocks. There is no weekly full in the capacity tier.
mporliod
Expert

Post by mporliod »

but if I have several backup jobs with various retention.
if I want to activate the immutability on the object storage which retention day can I activate?
that is, if I have a job with retention 7 restore point and another with retention 14 restore point, can the days of immutability on object storage be greater than the retention of a job?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It's possible (though not recommended) to set the immutability period longer than the retention period. When retention hits, the outdated restore points will be removed from the configuration (and become invisible in UI). However, they will still be present on the object storage repository for the duration of the immutability. Thanks!
mporliod
Expert

Post by mporliod »

my problem that i don't know how much space i need to also backup my data on object storage.
i have numerous jobs each with different retention policies, the only thing i know for sure i am using is using 5 tera of space on the local repository for my backups.
how many tera do you think I would need on object storage to make a copy of all my data?
on object storage does only a full one and the other backups are all incremental?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

on object storage does only a full one and the other backups are all incremental?
Yes, it's just 1 full backup and then only changed blocks (incremental) will be offloaded.

Use our calculator to get an idea on how much storage you need on the object storage:
https://calculator.veeam.com/vbr/
mporliod
Expert

Post by mporliod »

How do I do the calculation if I have many jobs with different retention?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

You use the calculator for each job and then add up all the required capacities for each job to get a final result.