Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
happy_harry
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Demetrius Weaver

moving data from capacity tier to archive tier

Post by happy_harry »

Moderator split from object-storage-f52/storage-account-ques ... 82401.html

I had the same question and Google brought me here.

How does Veeam actually move the data from "Capacity" to "Archive"? Does it just use Microsoft's APIs to move the data on Microsoft's side, or does it download and re-upload the data?

Would there be any cost difference having the "Capacity" and "Archive" in the same storage account vs a separate account? In other words, would Microsoft charge more moving data from one storage account to another compared to within a single storage account?

I'm also curious how costs would be affected when using "hot" vs "cool" for the Capacity tier. When the data is moved from "Capacity" to "Archive" would there be a significant cost difference moving the data from "cool" > "archive compared with "hot" > "archive"?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2887 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: moving data from capacity tier to archive tier

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the data is moved by proxy appliances

I'm not aware of additional costs "per account", but that's something to ask Microsoft (it's their pricing structure).

The cost difference depends on the retention and access pattern you have. If you restore very often, then the costs are higher (especially on cool and archive tier) than if you never restore. In general: the shorter the retention, the more it makes sense to use hot. Cool has minimum retention you pay for 30 days. Archive 180 days. So it really depends on your retention settings and access pattern.

Overall: if you are worried about costs at Azure, then I would look at cheaper alternatives. Wasabi and Backblaze are popular in the Veeam community. Also other object storage providers can be an alternative.

Best regards,
Hannes
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It seems that:

* Azure charges you for in-cloud communication happening between different regions: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/prici ... age/blobs/
* Azure charges more for reading objects present on Cold Tier: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/prici ... age/blobs/

But I agree with Hannes it's better to reach a Microsoft representative with these questions.

Thanks!
eichenseherp
Influencer
Full Name: Patrick Eichenseher

[MERGED] Storage Account: Cool or Hot access tier

Post by eichenseherp »

Hello,

is hot or cold access tier better for the following usecase:
- 17 TB Data with 30 days immutability
- daily incremental Backups
- weekly full Backup

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager

Re: Storage Account: Cool or Hot access tier

Post by veremin »

Are you talking about Microsoft Azure? How are you planning to use it? As a standalone object storage repository or as a Capacity Tier? Thanks!
eichenseherp
Influencer
Full Name: Patrick Eichenseher

Re: Storage Account: Cool or Hot access tier

Post by eichenseherp »

Yes, and as a Capacity Tier
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I've merged your topic into the existing thread where similar questions were discussed.

Kindly, find our general recommendations regarding access tiers above and ask for additional clarification, if any is needed.

Thanks!