Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cormansa
Novice
Liked: never

Extend disk space

Post by cormansa »

Hi,

I have a local repository on my Veeam server. The disk space become too short and I need to extend.
Due to the server configuration :!:
I'm unable to extend the disk space, I must add a new disk (new volume).
So, my question is : how to add a other drive to my backup repository or how can I add space to my backup repository ?

thank you

S. Purnelle
JackT
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jack T.

Re: Extend disk space

Post by JackT »

Hi,
This could depend on what kind of server you have as your Veeam Server. If it's a physical machine, I'd advise either buying a new storage device and installing it into the server or erasing any large unnecessary files on the server taking up space. If the server in question is a Virtual Machine, it would depend on what hypervisor you're using. Normally, you can edit the machine and extend the maximum amount of storage available if there are no checkpoints (Hyper-V), or you can add a new disk.

To add repositories, go to the "backup infrastructure" tab and right-click on "backup repositories" - "add backup repository". After you have created a new one, you can select it after editing a job.

Hope this helped!

J
cormansa
Novice

Post by cormansa »

This is physical machine.
I upgraded the storage by replacing old 4Tb disk by new 8Tb disk, but the raid controller and the virtual disk configuration (DELL server) not permitting to extend a virtual disk.
So I cannot extend my windows drive and that's the problem. So I'm looking for a solution to extend my backup repository by adding a second windows drive.
JackT
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jack T.

Post by JackT »

If it's a physical server, I'd recommend either buying a new drive and re-adding the repository, or, cleaning the already existing drive/repository and unnecessary large files.

Thanks
mweissen13
Enthusiast
Liked: 54 times
Full Name: Michael Weissenbacher

Post by mweissen13 »

You will probably need to backup the whole server, delete RAID config, create a new RAID, then restore. Veeam Agent can be leveraged for that, even without buying a license. But i see no way around having extra space for the backup (on an usb disk, for example).
Most of this is out procedure of scope for this forum.
cormansa
Novice

Post by cormansa »

I do a backup of my D:\ (7To) to an USB disl, deleted the virtual Disk and now I restore the content to my new d:\ (14To).
I use robocopy, but I have a little problem, the delay of restore, I think that he take some times and will not be ended before the start of today's backup.
So I plan to modify my restore to restore at first step the VBRCatalog before the save repository him self, but is this a good idea ?
But I need to restore the tree too, otherwize, Veean cannot save data !!! :?

thx