Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
evander
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Object Storage - Exclude Items?

Post by evander »

Hi, please help me understand the following situation.
I have numerous backups jobs with multi-TB VMs.
I also have related copy jobs that point to a different repo, in this case a SOBR destination.

I now want to copy (not move) some of these to S3 storage (immutable and normal depending on VM, but lets just talk normal for now)
The problem is I cant see a way to individually choose certain VMs or exclude certain VMs from the "copy to Object Storage" option.

With a normal Copy job this is easy as I have the Exclude option which works well because I can add the backup job (which contains many large VMs) to the copy job settings and then exclude certain big VMs if I need to.
Right now, the way I understand it (hope I am wrong) is that if I add a capacity tier to my existing SOBR everything will start copying to S3 (within a window I can define, sure) but it is many TB of data. I want to start with certain VMs only and slowly get data into S3 without killing my internet link. I know I have the snowball option but its not really what I am trying to achieve as I could add 5 VMs tomorrow each with many TBs and I just would like an easy option of exclude/include without all or nothing to S3?

Thanks
sfirmes
Veeam Software
Liked: 117 times
Full Name: Stephen Firmes

Re: Object Storage - Exclude Items?

Post by sfirmes »

@evander You are correct. When you add a Capacity Tier to the SOBR all of the backup data in the Performance Tier extent(s) will be copied/moved when eligible.

You could create a separate SOBR on the same storage hardware and move the VMs that you want to send to the Capacity Tier to that new SOBR.

Thanks

Steve
Senior Solutions Architect, Product Management - Alliances @ Veeam Software
evander
Enthusiast

Post by evander »

Hi Steve thanks for the reply.
This is quite disappointing to be honest. I suspect because you have the technology to do this already in your copy mode it wont be too difficult to incorporate it in your copy to object storage workflow, right?
Please can I ask that this is feature you include as soon as possible. I suspect anyone pushing data over the internet would appreciate the ability to add or exclude certain VMs from existing jobs for the same reason that ability is already in your backup and copy jobs options.
evander
Enthusiast

Post by evander »

Regarding the workaround you mention, can you help me understand it better please. Are you suggesting the following situation using the following as an example:

Existing Veeam Copy Job A = 15 VMs totaling 10TB pointing to SOBR 1

Create a new copy job (Copy Job B) with a single VM and let that copy to S3 (via SOBR 2) and then later add another VM and then another until all these large VMs of 10TB are in S3?
Seems quite a laborious task and also means I need to have double the available space to create two copies of all VMs locally first.

Assume I did this and assume I have now pushed all 15 VMs into S3, can I now delete that Copy Job B and enable the original Copy Job A and map that job to those VMs already in S3?
sfirmes
Veeam Software
Liked: 117 times
Full Name: Stephen Firmes

Post by sfirmes »

@evander in the scenario where you have an existing SOBR where all of your VMs are being backed up to and you want a subset of those VMs to be copied and/or moved to an object storage target via the Capacity Tier, I was suggesting you have two target SOBRs. One target SOBR would be for the VMs that you don't want to have in object storage, so you wouldn't define a Capacity Tier for it. The second target SOBR with a Capacity Tier would be used to get the backup data to the object storage. Each target SOBR would have its own copy job selecting the appropriate VMs.

To address you storage concerns you can use this KB document https://www.veeam.com/kb1729. Method B explains how you can "move" backups from your existing target SOBR to the second one that I proposed.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Senior Solutions Architect, Product Management - Alliances @ Veeam Software
Antanas26
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Antanas Tamasiunas

Post by Antanas26 »

Are there still no plans to implement this functionality? I totally agree with the OP. Creating separate backup jobs and separate SOBRs and then moving backups from one to another is not a good a solution at all... There should be an easier way to include/exclude VMs from offloads to capacity tier.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Antanas

V12 will allow you to use backup copy jobs directly to Object Storage without any SOBR involved.
Instead of using multiple SOBRs with different backup jobs, you will be able to just create a backup copy job and add only the VMs you want to offload. As the backup target, you can choose your object storage repository. No need for a SOBR anymore.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software