Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rkg
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Roger

Issue with Database Upgrading from Version 10 to Version 11

Post by rkg »

Hi all, i have a veeam environment with 1 Enterprise manager server, and two veeam serves on version 10, i did start the process to upgrade to version 11.
First i upgraded the Enterprise manager, no issues.
Then i try to upgrade the first Veeam server, following the regular screen wizards, we have the SQL Veeam database server separate in another server.
The installation process caused that some file_log.ldf on the Veeam databse server grow over 80 GB and run the data disk out of space, and the Veeam server is stuck in the last step "Installing Veeam Backup & replication server"

I already open a case with Veeam support Case # 05646642, waiting for the answer.

Anybody ran on similar issue upgrading the new version?

Thanks in advance
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Issue with Database Upgrading from Version 10 to Version 11

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Roger,

That looks to be infrastructure specific issue unfortunately. Please keep working with our support and let us know how the investigation goes.
rkg
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Roger

Post by rkg »

well guys, to follow this issue and the solution:

1- First Enterprise manager server upgraded, no issues.
2- First Veeam server installation failed because the SQL server with the veeam database run out of space because a Veeamlog.ldf associated grew too much during the installation process.

So to avoid the issue we should have increase the size of the disk on the SQL server, initial free size was 50 GB, we add 100 GB extra, so we have 150 GB free on the second installation try, the Veeamlog.ldf grew up to 90 GB until the Wizard finished the installation, not run out of space.

So i recommend to you be careful on the space available on the Veeam SQL server if you have a big Veeam database, on my case the database is 200 GB. more or less you should have 60% of the size of the database free on the SQL server for the installation.

3- On my second Veeam server, the DB is 85 GB, for this installation the Veeamlog.ldf grew up to 61 GB, for both Veeam servers the DB was in separate SQL servers.

After finish both installations, the veeamlog.ldf file was shrunk the less thatn 1 GB on the SQL servers.

so you are aware.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Roger,

Glad you nailed it and thank you for sharing the details! We will discuss with RnD folks if it's possible to perform free space checks during the upgrade more carefully.