Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 178 times
Full Name: Michael

why does a new backup vbk result in a huge bcj vib?

Post by mcz »

Hi everybody,

I'm having a backup job A and a backup copy job B. For a certain reason I've deleted the vbk of A, did a rescan (to remove all entries and files of that chain) and started the backup job. A created a new VBK of 1,6 TB - which was expected. But the BCJ then created a VIB of 1,6 TB which surprised me. It has continued the existing chain but obviously all the blocks have changed - but why? Is it that the blocks have a different identifier if there's no previous chain or what will I have to consider for the future?

Would it have been different if I had done an active full before I had removed the existing vbk?

Note: I'm not using ReFS or XFS.

Thanks!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: why does a new backup vbk result in a huge bcj vib?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
For a certain reason I've deleted the vbk of A
this answers the "but why?" question :-)
Would it have been different if I had done an active full before I had removed the existing vbk?
yes. Active full with a working backup backup chain would have resulted in a small VIB file.

There are no plans to cover such situation, where a customer violates recommendations (meaning that customers delete data in the file system instead letting the software managing it)

Best regards,
Hannes
mcz
Veeam Legend
Liked: 178 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by mcz »

Thanks Hannes!

Sure, I know that the recommendations have been violated but would it have been different if veeam had deleted the chain?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

I'm not sure which functionality you refer to. There is nothing built-in for what you did (as far as I understood the whole situation)