Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
brupnick
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Rupnick

"Creating snapshot" Event Missing from Log

Post by brupnick »

I just applied Patch 3 this afternoon and while monitoring my nightly backup jobs, noticed that the "Creating snapshot" event is no longer displayed in the real-time log. Since the "Removing snapshot" entry still exists, I'm wondering if this was intentional or just an oversight. I've found these two entries in particular to be helpful when watching for potential bottlenecks during my backup windows.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: "Creating snapshot" Event Missing from Log

Post by Gostev »

The changes are certainly intentional, they were required to fix another issue with processing SQL server where Veeam DB is located. The issue was caused by job timing trying to log these records to the quiesced database. This was high visibility issue affecting multiple customers.

Generally speaking, snapshot never takes more than a few seconds (short VM stun to redirect virtual disk writes to the new, empty file). It is removing snapshot (commit) that typically requires job monitoring and troubleshooting.
brupnick
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Rupnick

Post by brupnick »

That makes complete sense. Thanks for the explanation Anton.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

No problems. By the way, we should be able to add this event back in the next "normal" release, where we will have more freedom to change how things work. In the patch release, where we are limited to very "point" fixes - quick and reliable, but may be "dirty".