Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
bishoptf
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Bishop

Export backup from repository and restore via local storage

Post by bishoptf »

I have a B&R repo that I have all of the windows endpoints backing up to and that works great and if I am local I can restore via the network. However I am needing to export the backup and then do the recovery from local attached storage. I figured out how to export the backup but it exported it as a .vbk file and when I tried to restore it the recovery agent is looking for a .vbm extension. Obviously I have not done something correct and just looking for the steps to be able to export a backup and restore using the recovery agent, thanks.

I extracted the .vbk file and I do not see an .vbm file either so I owuld like to know the correct process to export a windows endpoint backup so I can restore locally, thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Export backup from repository and restore via local storage

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
just to be clear... do you try bare metal restore, or file level restore?

File level restore should work with "double click" to the VBK. Bare metal restore from data that was stored in VBR only works with Bare metal restore from VBR. Copy & paste does not work. The data must come from a Veeam repository (not USB stick)

Best regards,
Hannes
bishoptf
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Bishop

Post by bishoptf »

Bare metal restore, so your saying a bare metal restore is only possible when using VBR, that doesn't sound right. You mean only paid customers using VBR can do a bare metal restore, pretty sure if I was backing up to a local USB drive I could still do bare metal restores, if not that is a pretty big miss since if I have ransomware etc, I couldnt do a bare metal restore, hope thats not the case but I guess I will try and see.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
You mean only paid customers using VBR can do a bare metal restore
no, that's NOT what I mean :-) If you point your (free) bare metal restore environment to the B&R repository, then it would work
if I was backing up to a local USB drive I could still do bare metal restores
yes, correct. Bare metal restore works with USB disk, NAS etc. But I read above "I have a B&R repo[...] ". The point is, that the agent has to be unmanged and just writing the backups "somewhere" to make bare metal restore work without B&R.

As soon as the backups go into Veeam Backup & Replication, there are differences in format

Best regards,
Hannes