Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Massimiliano Rizzi

Several users are being silently ignored

Post by massimiliano.rizzi »

Hello Community and good day,

I just opened Case # 05659510 in order to troubleshoot a very strange issue which is currently affecting one of our customers.

Please consider the following scenario:

==================================================
1. This customer is currently using iland Secure Cloud Backup for Microsoft 365 in order to protect their own Microsoft 365 data
2. Last week we updated the Veeam Backup for M365 configuration via the iland Console in order to update the Authentication Method to Modern Auth only before October 2022 due to the deprecation of Basic and Modern with Legacy Authentication for M365/O365
3. Surprisingly, as part of doing some housekeeping and iland license compliance check last week we noticed that there were 55 users across the entire organization that we expected to be backed up by Veeam Backup for M365, but that are not backed up at all without any failure notification. Basically, it appears that these users are being silently ignored
4. We opened a support case with the iland team but unfortunately we have made little to no progress so far
5. We decided to reproduce the issue ourselves in our lab using a helper Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 Server and a trial license in order to update the iland team with our findings and I can confirm that we were able to reproduce the issue using the same exact job settings
==================================================

Basically, the License Overview reports show those users are "unprotected", even though they are properly licensed on the M365 side and they not belong to any exclusion group.

Please forgive me in advance if I am missing something here.

Any thought on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Massimiliano
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Several users are being silently ignored

Post by Mike Resseler »

Massimiliano,

Thanks for the support case #. As you can imagine users being silently ignored doesn't seem to be something we want. And I cannot imagine why this even could happen. I hope our engineers can dig in the logs to figure out what is going on. Keep us informed
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider

Post by massimiliano.rizzi »

Massimiliano,

Thanks for the support case #. As you can imagine users being silently ignored doesn't seem to be something we want. And I cannot imagine why this even could happen. I hope our engineers can dig in the logs to figure out what is going on. Keep us informed
Hi Mike,

thank you for your reply.

I am working with the engineers in order to understand what's going on.

I will keep you posted.

Kind Regards,

Massimiliano
massimiliano.rizzi
Service Provider

Post by massimiliano.rizzi » 1 person likes this post

Hello Community,

just a quick update here with regards to this "Case of the Unexplained".

After checking the groups on the Office 365 side, it turned out our customer inadvertently added an Office 365 group to the Excluded group "Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Exclusion List", which in turn inadvertently excluded several users from being processed. As a result, this caused some nested group membership even though the affected users were not direct members for this exclusion group.

We will now work with our customer in order to fix the problem.

Thank you again for your support and have a great rest of the day ahead.

Kind Regards,

Massimiliano
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Massimiliano,

Thanks for getting back on this and happy that your issue is resolved on Veeam's side.