Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
cardendave
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dave King

Wasabi Scale-out

Post by cardendave »

Afternoon All

We have a Veeam server in our DC which backs up our servers in the DC to a local NAS and to a NAS in another DC. As the costs of colo are increasing I looked at making a repository at Wasabi and using scale-out, and then binning the 2nd DC, effectively Wasabi being our offsite.

I have added a object repository, then a scale-out repository and linked it to my local one, it took an hour to sync and then a ran a backup and it worked. I can see the restore points increased locally and on the wasabi repository.

What I cannot see is how to set my Wasabi restore points? And also, if it hits the 30 or 90 day Wasabi retention, how does Wasabi know what files to remove, won't this break my backup chain?

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 123 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Re: Wasabi Scale-out

Post by ronnmartin61 »

Wasabi does not know. Retention in the object tier is still subject to your backup job settings.
cardendave
Service Provider

Post by cardendave »

So the backup job performance tier and object tier have the same retention?

Am I right in saying that my performance tier (the local NAS) and the capacity tier (Wasabi) both have backups on, for example if I had a fire, I could go to the Wasabi repository, right?

What I am looking to do is have 250 days on the performance, and 30 days on the object. As the capacity will only be used in an office situation - fire, theft, etc.
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

Wasabi's minimum retention policy isn't about how long your backups are available or retained in your bucket. It's about how long you will be billed for each uploaded object.
For example you upload your backup with 1TB today and directly delete it tomorrow. Then Wasabi will still bill you for this 1TB for the next 29/89 days.
I've written about this in the community:
https://community.veeam.com/blogs-and-p ... olicy-3074
cardendave
Service Provider

Post by cardendave »

Thanks I totally get that side of it, its more understanding how many restore points are in Wasabi.

So if my backup job has 250, I can only make Wasabi also store 250 by the sounds of it? But what if it then gets to the 90 day Wasabi retention? It will delete blocks that are part of the chain surely?

Sorry, I know Veeam very well, bit of a n00b here though.
Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor » 1 person likes this post

Like Ronn wrote, the retention comes from your backup job. With copy mode, performance and capacity tier will have the same restore points. With move mode, performance tier will have less restore points.
Storing 250 restore points in the performance tier, and only 30 in the capacity tier won't be possible for now.

Wasabi won't delete anything inside your bucket and you can store backups for a longer period with them. It's only about the capacity you're getting billed. Each object/backup will at least get billed for 30/90 days. If you delete it before that, you still pay for it.
If you delete it after that period, you stop paying for it.
cardendave
Service Provider

Post by cardendave »

Thanks, I really appreciate your replies.

The move mode will only move backups that are outside of the performance tier window though, right? So if my backup job is say 14 days, on day 15 it would move my oldest backup to Wasabi and delete it from the performance?

I may just wait for the new version so I can backup direct LOL.
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 123 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Post by ronnmartin61 »

Ah I think this is the disconnect -
The move mode will only move backups that are outside of the performance tier window though, right
No this is not the case. Move will only move independent backup chains that exceed the days threshold set in the move policy. Please check out https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110 specifically the "Validation" section.
somoa
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Post by somoa » 1 person likes this post

cardendave wrote: Oct 10, 2022 5:23 pm So the backup job performance tier and object tier have the same retention?

Am I right in saying that my performance tier (the local NAS) and the capacity tier (Wasabi) both have backups on, for example if I had a fire, I could go to the Wasabi repository, right?

What I am looking to do is have 250 days on the performance, and 30 days on the object. As the capacity will only be used in an office situation - fire, theft, etc.
the way I get around this is by having a 2nd local copy in a SOBR with 30day retention. Backups are sent to the 2nd storage through a backup copy job.

You can also enable move backups files older than option on the capacity tier. This stops you keeping another copy onsite and saves your onsite space.