Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Krytical
Lurker
Liked: never

Surprised at a couple missing features.

Post by Krytical »

We currently use Veeam 11 for our servers and Veeam for 365.

1. The 365 product has been out since 2017 (beta was 2016)
Yet there is still no way to backup the Veeam O365 configuration?
We have thousands of exclusions for example and need to move the installation to a new server, yet there is no way to export the configuration.
I've attempted to export the data and re-import using the PowerShell modules; however, this fails with errors about deserialized data.

2. SharePoint online has important configurations that could use backup, Term Store/Managed Metadata for example...
Commvault can back this up. Veeam cannot.

3. Backup to a dedup device. unsupported.
I understand why technically, but the whole saving as a live DB thing seems like a bad design choice considering this is for backups, and people generally like to dedup backups especially in DR situations.

Overall, I can't say that Veeam for 365 meets the same quality of Veeam 11.

Are any of these things planned to change in the near future?
We're at the time of year where we budget for next year purchases and considering budgeting for a different backup solution.
We don't really want to replace Veeam 11 but are definitely ready to replace Veeam for O365... and if we replace the O365 backup, it might make sense for us to migrate both to another solution.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Surprised at a couple missing features.

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Kryptical,

A few items are indeed planned but not all. #1 and #2 for example are on the list.

#3 however is not. From what you write, I assume you are using the Jet DB repository and there you indeed have the limitation why it will not work decently on a dedup device. Our other type of repository, which we belief is the future, is Object Storage which is much more suitable for this type of backup and is something that we continue to improve with each version. Purely from dedup point of view, I cannot say when or if that will come but we do use already compression and try to save as much storage as possible