Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
wmaxime75
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Worrel M

SqlTimeout error has occured. Affected stored procedure is GetBackupsByTargetTypeAndPlatformAndNotInRepositoryTypeFlags.

Post by wmaxime75 »

Getting this error when I try to browse restore points.

Code: Select all

[DBRETRY] SqlTimeout error has occured. Affected stored procedure is GetBackupsByTargetTypeAndPlatformAndNotInRepositoryTypeFlags. Pausing for 10 seconds before retrying
[03.05.2022 18:37:19] <139> Warning  [DBRETRY] Retrying stored procedure [GetBackupsByTargetTypeAndPlatformAndNotInRepositoryTypeFlags], attempt number 1 out of 2 attempts
[03.05.2022 18:37:29] <144> Info     Checking identity rights as S-1-5-21-329068152-838170752-682003330-516533
[03.05.2022 18:37:29] <144> Info     BUILTIN Administrator SID: S-1-5-21-3198839802-3183995822-2151391531-500
[03.05.2022 18:40:19] <139> Warning  [DBRETRY] SqlTimeout error has occured. Affected stored procedure is GetBackupsByTargetTypeAndPlatformAndNotInRepositoryTypeFlags. Pausing for 10 seconds before retrying
[03.05.2022 18:40:29] <139> Warning  [DBRETRY] Retrying stored procedure [GetBackupsByTargetTypeAndPlatformAndNotInRepositoryTypeFlags], attempt number 2 out of 2 attempts
[03.05.2022 18:43:29] <139> Error    Execution Timeout Expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. (System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException)
[03.05.2022 18:43:29] <139> Error       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
[03.05.2022 18:43:29] <139> Error       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
[03.05.2022 18:43:29] <139> Error       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
[03.05.2022 18:43:29] <139> Error       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.TryConsumeMetaData()
[03.05.2022 18:43:29] <139> Error       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
[03.05.2022 18:43:29] <139> Error       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString, Boolean isInternal, Boolean forDescribeParameterEncryption, Boolean shouldCacheForAlwaysEncrypted)
[03.05.2022 18:43:29] <139> Error       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry, SqlDataReader ds, Boolean describeParameterEncryptionRequest)
[03.05.2022 18:43:29] <139> Error       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, TaskCompletionSource`1 completion, Int32 timeout, Task& task, Boolean& usedCache, Boolean asyncWrite, Boolean inRetry)
[03.05.2022 18:43:29] <139> Error       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
[03.05.2022 18:43:29] <139> Error       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior, String method)
[03.05.2022 18:43:29] <139> Error       at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
[03.05.2022 18:43:29] <139> Error       at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable[] dataTables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
[03.05.2022 18:43:29] <139> Error       at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable dataTable)
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 613 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Re: SqlTimeout error has occured. Affected stored procedure is GetBackupsByTargetTypeAndPlatformAndNotInRepositoryTypeFl

Post by jorgedlcruz » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
Please open a Support Ticket, and let us know the case number. Be mindful that coming to the forum with a one-liner and many errors do not help the Community.

This sort of problem should be handled by Support.

Thank you!
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
zlep
Novice
Liked: never

Re: SqlTimeout error has occured. Affected stored procedure is GetBackupsByTargetTypeAndPlatformAndNotInRepositoryTypeFl

Post by zlep »

@jorgedlcruz, I have the same error, so a public post would be better than keeping the solution hidden in a closed support ticket!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 519 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I would disagree with the last comment. The error outlined in log snippet above occurs due to a failure of the specific SQL stored procedure but the scope of potential root causes of such a failure is quite large. We have no proves to state that your issue is identical to wmaxime75's one even if the error message is the same in both cases. That's why we always ask to open support cases for technical issues and to validate possible solutions with our engineers.

Thanks!
david.domask
VeeaMVP
Liked: 278 times

Post by david.domask »

To add to Petr's statement, @zlep, the above message can occur on stored procedures for quite a few reasons. It could be poor performance on the SQL server hosting the Veeam Configuration Database; it could be poor connectivity to the same database from the backup server (assuming they're different). It could be an issue with a suboptimal procedure. And many more reasons.

The idea isn't to say there isn't a problem or to hide the answer, but more that right now there are no known issues on this specific procedure. I checked our case records for this stored procedure, and there are only a few cases (4 unique ones) and each one had a different reason for the issue (SQL performance, connection, an upgrade to a cumulative patch "helped" in one case though I suspect a reboot was the real solution here, and an installation that was still using SQL 2008 where upgrading SQL instance helped)

If there is a discovered issue, typically we'll at least note the issue number on such forum threads so it's as simple as you open a case, mention the issue number, and you're good to go with the first email.

Right now, it seems that the issue needs investigation, so it's really best to reproduce the issue and upload logs for review. I appreciate your understanding, and if you do end up opening a case, please post the case number just so we can keep an eye on it.
David Domask | Director: Customer Care | Veeam Technical Support
spiritie
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Gert

Post by spiritie »

I'll be creating a support case as well.

Kinda seeing the same across multiple VBR installations, but just with deleting backups from disk.

Some of them running SQL Express, others running SQL Standard, it seems like the queries VBR uses to delete restore points from the Database are not very optimized.

One of the servers is a very beefy server with 64/128 cores, 256 GB RAM, high performance SSD's and so on, deleting/removing a Capacity Tier from a SOBR completely kills the SQL server, and crashes the entire VBR installation. Our monitoring when this happens report high counts on: ProcessesBlocked, LockTimeouts, WorkFiles.

Just today deleting Orphaned Backups, even a job with under 10 VM's takes insanely long time, starting multiple delete jobs at the same time just kills the SQL server again.

Code: Select all

[01.09.2022 12:46:17] <04> Warning      [DBRETRY] SqlTimeout error has occurred. Affected stored procedure is AddBaseSessionRow. Pausing for 10 seconds before retrying
wmaxime75
Influencer

Post by wmaxime75 »

Veeam Support - Case # 05528467. I've been dealing with this issue for quite some time now. The ticket was opened Jul 12, 2022, has been escalated, still no solution. This issue is affecting many functions, from deleting repositories, adding extents to scale-out repos, viewing restore points, etc. It was determined that it's not a SQL version or resource issue. To prove it, we stood up a new server, installed Veeam v11, restored the config DB, and all was well. Unfortunately this is not a "workaround" because we have data domains at a DDOS version not supported by v11.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

As far as I see, our senior engineers work together with RnD on RCA. The sophisticated technical issues may require additional time for deeper debug logs and performance traces analysis including internal testing to check different assumptions etc. I will check with support and RnD leaders whether it is possible to accelerate the research but I'm absolutely sure they will find out the root cause anyway.

Thanks!
wmaxime75
Influencer

Post by wmaxime75 » 1 person likes this post

I installed Veeam v10.0.1.4854 on our test server, restored our production configuration DB and I was able to see restore points, make changes to repositories, etc
Provided v10.0.1.4854 supports our Data Domain version level(under DDOS 6.2) we could upgrade the server(and RMAN clients) and at least resolve these SQL stored procedure issues. This is not a root cause solution but I'm ok with upgrading.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Glad to hear that you've found a convenient workaround. Looks like the issue is with the stored procedure itself, I let our support continue working on further RCA.

Thanks!