Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Pres
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Pres

Production drive D:\ is getting low on free space (90.8 GB left), and may run out of free disk space completely

Post by Pres »

Hello,

We are using the Community Edition of Veeam Backup. Currently, taking backup of a few VMs i.e. less than 10. The backup job keeps failing due to the error below:

Production drive D:\ is getting low on free space (90.8 GB left), and may run out of free disk space completely due to open snapshots.
Error: Skipping VM processing due to insufficient free disk space on drive D:\.

D: Drive is 3.27 TB. The free space on it is 3.27 TB still I am getting the above error and the backup fails.

Troubleshoot
Format D: Drive to clear space.
Built OS from scratch with VEEAM along with SQL installed for the first time.

Please let me know if I need to change any settings to make the backup work.

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Production drive D:\ is getting low on free space (90.8 GB left), and may run out of free disk space completely

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Re-installing the software will probably change nothing.
D: Drive is 3.27 TB. The free space on it is 3.27 TB still I am getting the above error and the backup fails.
which drive is that? The error is about the production storage (where the VMs are stored). As the statement above is about 100% free space, that seems to be some other drive. How big is our production datastore and how much free space does it have?

It also might make sense to check for old VSS snapshots

Best regards,
Hannes
Pres
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Pres

Re: Production drive D:\ is getting low on free space (90.8 GB left), and may run out of free disk space completely

Post by Pres »

Hello Hannes,

How do I find out which drive is currently used as a production datastore? There are three drives on the Backup Server
1. C:\ drive (517 free of 558GB): Used for OS and Veeam application installation
2. D:\ drive (3.27TB free of 3.27TB): Configured as default Backup Repository. It has the following folders created by Veeam i.e. ProgramData and VBRCatalog
3. F:\ drive (1.08 TB free of 1.09TB): Not used

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
VMs run on Hyper-V (not on the backup server). So the Hyper-V datastores / disks need to be checked

Best regards,
Hannes
mdowney
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mike Downey

Post by mdowney »

Hi, I wanted to post to this same thread because I'm getting the same error message and I'm unable to figure out where the problem is. Here is the message that I'm getting: "10/17/2022 01:10:49 PM :: Production drive D:\ is getting low on free space (474.7 GB left), and may run out of free disk space completely due to open snapshots." I get this on one backup job and two replication jobs. The repository for the backup job and the host for the replication servers are on the same server. Here are the drives, their sizes, and their free space.

C: 200GB, 162GB free
D: 558GB, 82GB free
E: 14901GB, 2766GB free

There is nothing that is close to the 474GB stated in the error message. I can see a backup program thinking that 82GB is a low amount of free space while it's backing up multiple TB of data, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Is there any chance the error message is grabbing the wrong number? I've searched all my servers and I can't find one with a drive that has approximately 475GB free.

I don't know if this matches the OP's issue, but maybe there's something more going on with this than we initially see. And, of course, I'm just getting a warning, so my backup and replication jobs are at least completing for me.

Mike
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Mike

The error message doesn’t come from the the repository server or replica target host.
You need to check the source host where your original VMs are running. Are the numbers from this host?

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mdowney
Influencer

Post by mdowney »

Quickly following up on my previous post...

OK, I think I missed something obvious. The virtual servers involved in the backup and replication jobs below are both stored on the same host and that host does, indeed, have about 474GB of space left. I can expand the volume by 100GB, so I'll do that and see if that fixes it.
mdowney
Influencer

Post by mdowney »

Yes, that was my mistake. Expanding the D: drive by 100GB has removed the error for now. I'll work on adding or freeing up space soon. @Mildur, thank you for pointing that out for me. @Pres, maybe my silly mistake and the solution will help you pinpoint where your trouble is coming from.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

You‘re welcome.
Instead of adding new disk space, you can also adjust the notification threshold: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

It should be safe to configure 7% or 8% warning threshold if free disk space never goes lower than 400GB while the jobs are running.
Depends mainly on how much changes occur on the VMs while the backup jobs are running.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software