Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ryan99alero
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ryan Goff

Virtual Lab Multiple Production Networks needed on same Subnet

Post by ryan99alero »

On this particular Virtual Lab I have a Window 2019 Active Directory Server, Windows 2016 Web Server and a Windows 2012 MSSQL Server. The AD Server are using "VM Network" which is a 1G connection. The Web server and SQL Server are using the "VM Network 10G" This is on a 10G fiber connection. The Web server is also on a "VM Wan Network" as it has a WAN IP for hosting client services. The VM Network and VM Network 10G use the same IP Subnet we don't see a connection speed as a determining factor for splitting out to another subnet. For this "Web Solution Virtual Lap" to work it needs all 3 VM's. AD Authentication, Web Site, SQL Server. Setting Up I select Advanced single-host in Networking. In Isolated I setup my VM Network, WAN and VM Network 10G. VM Network and VM Network 10G are both on Subnet 192.168.3.254 and VM Wan Network is on Wan Subnet. I can remove VM Network and disable all validation and it'll spin up. Just can't communication with the AD Server that is on the VM Network interface.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 527 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Virtual Lab Multiple Production Networks needed on same Subnet

Post by PetrM »

Hi Ryan,

Basically, you can try to map VM Network and VM Network 10G to the same isolated network. As stated on this page of our help center:
You can map several production networks to the same isolated network. The production networks that you plan to map must have the same network masks and pools of IP addresses.
Also, may I ask you to clarify what you mean by "Just can't communication with the AD Server that is on the VM Network interface"? Do you see an error message or some specific tests are failed, for instance ping tests?

Thanks!
ryan99alero
Novice

Post by ryan99alero » 1 person likes this post

This is a very logical approach. For whatever reason I was under the impression they have to each have a unique mapping but per help it makes more logical sense you could reuse them for the same subnet types regardless the vm name. I had followed another forum question years ago that someone was roughly trying what I needed and the response they got was create multiple Virtual labs.

Will response one I get re-deployed and verify access.. What I meant by
You can map several production networks to the same isolated network. The production networks that you plan to map must have the same network masks and pools of IP addresses.
Was since it was on network "VM Network" and I couldn't figure out how to get that networked added in my isolated networks. Once it was powered on. I could manually log through vsphere console into it but it had no network to connect to other VM's on the same virtual lab.
ryan99alero
Novice

Post by ryan99alero » 1 person likes this post

This worked perfectly. Thank you for pointing out what should have been an obvious answer to me.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 527 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Glad to hear that it helped!

Thanks!