Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
carlos.garcia.seidor
Influencer
Liked: never

Choose EC2 template for restore to AWS

Post by carlos.garcia.seidor »

Hello,

We have a customer that has a VBR console, and within that console he has a SAP HANA server that is backed up with a Veeam Agent for Linux 5.0.1.4493 (the Veeam Backup Server is on version 11.0.1.1261).

The customer has asked us, while the SAP Hana machine is physical, to do some test restores to AWS. We have already explained that it is not a Disaster Recovery plan with a failback and the customer has understood this, although he is still interested in testing to see how long it would take to restore and what modifications he would have to make at the network level for his users to see SAP Hana via VPN.

On a side note, if there are recommendations on copying and/or restoring SAP HANA machines (we don't use plug-in for Hana in this case), please let us know or point us to the reference page.

On the other hand, when choosing the best EC2 template to restore to AWS, we face two handicaps:

1) The physical machine has 192 GB of RAM. Will it be necessary to choose a template with that memory, or can we provision one with less RAM?

2) The physical machine has provisioned 8.6 TB (although the disk occupation is infinitely lower, since a full backup occupies 91GB and each incremental, less than 7GB). What EBS volumes will it create in the cloud and what occupation will it consume?

All this information will be very useful to be able to prepare those restore tests to AWS and get an idea of the sizing at destination.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

Carlos
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Choose EC2 template for restore to AWS

Post by HannesK »

Hello,

1) the instance type is completely independent from whatever the physical or virtual hardware was (I mapped the template term to what AWS is using).
2) the disk size of the source disk is provisioned in EC2. I cannot tell you about how AWS charges exactly.

Best regards,
Hannes