Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
SmokinJoe
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Joe G

NAS Support : TrueNAS

Post by SmokinJoe »

Hi All,

TrueNAS has over 1 million deployments world wide and 230k newsletter subscribers.

I have 480 TB of capacity that is spread across 4 hosts.

I really would like better integration between VEEAM and TrueNAS for Proxy, tape and a repository.

Has there been a decision on TrueNAS and a direction that VEEAM is headed for?

Thanks,
Joe
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 615 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Re: NAS Support : TrueNAS

Post by jorgedlcruz » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
I have TrueNAS on my lab as well, pretty solid product.

For Proxy, if you mean DirectSAN backup, it works if you are presenting iSCSI to VMware, and then you do the normal iSCSI mapping to a Linux or Windows proxy. No backup from Storage Snapshots, it should be TrueNAS the ones doing tbe integration with our Universal API, as some other vendors. DirectNFS should work too.

For Repository, I tend to do the same, iSCSI to another box and then use XFS, etc. I have not tried native Linux there, it might not work as they usually have more restricted distros so users do not play much with OS, just use the webUI.
For Repository you can use NFS, or SMB natively and it works.
For Repository, you can enable minIO inside the trueNAS and leverage even Object Storage to the trueNAS.

For Tape support. I do not think this even works or is supported by the guys at TrueNAS, isn't?

Does this answer the question, or you are talking more about using that "Linux" box and we install pur components inside?

Thanks
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
SmokinJoe
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Joe G

Re: NAS Support : TrueNAS

Post by SmokinJoe »

Jorge,

TrueNAS Scale is Linux based, a Linux KVM vm can have access to the SAS tape drive that is on the host...

The windows management interface can still run on Windows, I just want the heavy lifting to run on Linux/TrueNAS as the disk/ram/volume/tape performance is something that is more consistent on Linux and we can test. Bacula has the btape command to fill and test the speed of a tape. I am really waiting on v12 to do more linux integration.

Thanks,
Joe