Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
adam900331
Veteran
Liked: 22 times

Two Veeam server with one licence

Post by adam900331 »

Hy!

There is a theory question: If I have a Veeam VUL licence and there are two site, on is the productive and the other is the DR site. I would like to install the Veeam in two place:
- Production site, for backup the production VMs
- DR site, due to the production site is down and restore VMs to DR sit with Veeam is in DR site.

Can I use the same licence for DR site?

Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Two Veeam server with one licence

Post by Mildur » 2 people like this post

Hi Adam

Our recommended design is to put the backup server in the DR site. Only one backup server would be required.
Theoretically, the VBR server at the DR side can managed all jobs and components from the production side. This would allow you to power on VM replicas or recovering from backups at the DR site without a configuration restore or importing backup files.
In case you want to use a second server, it can be licensed with the same license file.

Please note:
If two VBR servers are simultaneously doing backups with the same license key, you must use Enterprise Manager to manage the license:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

https://www.veeam.com/licensing-policy.html
1.13. Source Infrastructure
Customers can use copies of the Software under the same License Key and license terms to manage same or multiple Source Infrastructures. In this scenario, Customers are required to implement centralized license management (for example, Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager) to control total license consumption and compliance with the licensing terms.

Sharing of the Source Infrastructure between different Licenses and license terms is prohibited.
Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
adam900331
Veteran
Liked: 22 times

Re: Two Veeam server with one licence

Post by adam900331 »

Hy Fabian!

Thanks for Your reply!

The DR site has less infrastructure element, for example: DR site hasn't got SAN network. The production site has full backup infrastructure. I am happy to hear that I can use the same licencse for two Veeam B&R server with EM.

Thanks.