Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
stevekarra
Technology Partner
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Steve Karra

Storage API plugin for Dell PowerStore - Secondary Orchestration

Post by stevekarra »

Looking at https://www.veeam.com/kb4206 I see that Veeam/Dell do not support secondary snapshot orchestration. What I'd like to do is orchestrate the replication of a snapshot copy and backup from that copy (much like what can be done with NetApp today).

I believe there is a v2 of the Universal Storage API coming out by hopefully years end which might help address this, although I'm not sure why Dell would be dependent upon that given NetApp can do it today.

Does anyone have any insights on this they can share? Thanks.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Storage API plugin for Dell PowerStore - Secondary Orchestration

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi Steve,

please contact your product management, they are aware of this situation.

NetApps integation was done at a time where Veeam did all the integrations into storage systems. This was bound to business and marketing commitments from NetApp.

We switched shortly afterwards to joint development projects with vendors, where vendors and Veeam invest into integrations and both companies make sure to have the best and tightest integration. The Universal Storage API 2.0 will be released with v12 that includes secondary snapshot orchestration and many other features that storage vendors can opt in to integrate with. In the meantime you can use the storage internal snapshot replication mechanisms to replicate snapshots to second storage systems. If the vendor (most of them) have decided to show these snapshots through their plug-in to Veeam, we can provide VM, File and application restores out of them. The snapshot replication just need to be scheduled from within the storage.
stevekarra
Technology Partner
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Steve Karra

Re: Storage API plugin for Dell PowerStore - Secondary Orchestration

Post by stevekarra »

Thank you for the explanation and response. That's very helpful.