Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
sandroalves
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Sandro da Silva Alves

Why didn't you run (Run tiering job now)?

Post by sandroalves »

Hi,

I have one (Scale-out Backup Repositories) with one (Backup Repositories) that stores two JOBS.

My (Scale-out Backup Repositories) is configured to only keep backups up to 7 days old and copy to the Cloud as soon as it is done.

JOB 1 is for protecting an agent-protected server.

JOB 2 and is for protection of some virtual servers with VMware.

My space ran out today during the (JOB 1) protation process, so I removed a virtual server to free up space, changed it to keep only 1 backup and be able to run (Run tiering job now).

However, I noticed that only the (SOBR Tiering) of the (JOB 2) that was successfully executed before was executed.

Doubts:

1 - Is my procedure correct? Or is there any other alternative to free up the space?

2 - Why did you only execute (JOB 2)?

Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Why didn't you run (Run tiering job now)?

Post by Mildur »

Hi

With tiering, you must be talking about the Move policy with a 7 days operational window?

How is the first backup job configured? To be able to „move“ them, your backup jobs must create regular full backups. If you have a forever incremental chain, backups will not be processed by the move policy. If there is an issue to create the weekly full backup, it will not be uploaded after 7 days.
If you can, please provide a screenshot of the retention settings of that job and the settings on the SOBR for the capacity tier.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
sandroalves
Expert

Post by sandroalves »

Hi,

responding.

With tiering, you must be talking about the Move policy with a 7 days operational window?

Yup.

How are the backup jobs configured?

30 days, 1 monthly with sytentic on Saturdays.

To be able to „move“ them, your backup jobs must create regular full backups.

At first I understand that both JOBs are configured the same.

If you have a forever incremental chain, backups will not be processed by the move policy.

At first, understanding that both JOBs are configured the same, so if it works for one it should also work for the other.

I'm attaching the print to confirm.

JOB 1 configuration

JOB 2 configuration

Tier configurantion - was 7 now 1

Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Yes, it should work with this configuration.
Backup files should have been moved 7 days (now 1 day) after the new Saturday full was created.

Can you check if the full was created on Saturday? If there was a space issue, probably the full couldn‘t get created. Then you have to wait for the next full backup. The chain must be inactive before it can be removed. Veeam won‘t remove active chains.

Thanks
Fabian
sandroalves
Expert

Post by sandroalves »

Hi,

I believe that was it.

Having now managed to do a full backup, he started the tiering process.

When space ends this procedure that I performed is a better procedure or is there something that can be done?

Thanks.
sandroalves
Expert

Post by sandroalves »

Hi,

I was wrong, he did not perform the adjustment process in the tier cloud.

Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Arrow to the right means it‘s an incremental backup. Arrow down means it‘s a full backup. The symbols are explained here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... oints_sobr

Seeing your screenshot from the backups on „Disk“ it doesn‘t look like he has done a full backup on the 22nd October. So no offloading can happen. The chain is still active.

I suggest opening a support case to check why offload is not happening. For me it looks like the full is never created. Our support will be able to tell you if that is the case and why it hasn‘t worked.
Please provide me with the case number, so I can follow it from our side (product management).
When space ends this procedure that I performed is a better procedure or is there something that can be done?
You mean when there is no backup storage left? That shouldn‘t happen. Manual deletion is not a good solution.
You should buy enough storage for your backup jobs. Our calculator can be used to have an idea on how much storage you require for your backups:
https://calculator.veeam.com/vbr/

Thank you
Fabian