Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dspringer
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: David Springer

change running ReFS to 64kb

Post by dspringer »

I picked up the topic of Veeam from a former colleague about 1.5 years ago. Last week, with a close external service provider, the topic was to harden our Veeam environment even more. Of course, we stumbled upon the issue that my predecessor at least created all scale-out repositories as ReFS - but without the 64kb option.

To explain, our scale-out has 3 drives:
Repo1: 49.1 TB (28.8 TB Free) / Repo2: 49.1 TB (30 TB Free) / Repo3: 65.5 TB (32.9 TB Free).

It was made clear to me how much performance we were losing at that point. Especially in view of future planned VeeamOne and Shure backup.
Now, of course, I've been wondering since Thursday night how I could change this. Because the service provider immediately said that you could stop the 3 repo and then evacuate. But since the whole thing is already active for a while and there are accordingly amounts of data, this would take quite a while and that in the time the backups do not run quite clean. That it takes so long is of course also explained by comments that I discovered in other topics about it: the backups are unpacked before moving.

Apart from the fact that the whole thing will basically also hit me at the Veeam backup repositories of 6 other sites. I have 3 more sites coming soon where I will take over the setup and then want to use ReFS with 64kb correctly right away.

Do I take the whole thing on me now, or do I just let everything continue to run. According to the motto: Never change a running system. What do you think?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: change running ReFS to 64kb

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
It was made clear to me how much performance we were losing at that point.
I would be interested in that, because from a performance perspective I don't remember significant differences.

Please be aware, that evacuation in V11 will destroy all block cloning savings! V12 solves that.

If you don't see any problems, I would not change anything.

Best regards,
Hannes