Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
keironbell
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Keiron Bell

Importing XML to edit job configuration

Post by keironbell »

Hi Guys,

We have an issue with some file level backups using Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows whereby the "Personal Items" option gets selected. Not a massive issue, but due to permissions on some agents, it causes the job to complete with warnings. When this happens we login to each agent and remove this option again, as we don't want it as part of the selection list in the first place.

What I would like to do, is try and automate this process. We use Connectwise Automate so I have the ability to runs scripts against multiple agents. I have been playing with the idea of creating a script to export each agents config, editing the XML file to change the "BackupUserFolders" option from true to false, import the XML file again.

I have the export and XML update part working, however seem to be having issues importing again. I am now thinking that if we import the XML file, is this going to create a new job or is it going to update the current job? I know on the export there is a switch to use the job ID, but I don't see this for the import, which again makes me think that you can't update an already setup job.

Just wondering if this is possible to do, before I spend any more time on this.

Cheers,
Keiron
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Importing XML to edit job configuration

Post by Mildur »

Hi Keiron

The ID of the Job is in the XML file.
If you import the XML, the job with the same ID will be updated. If the ID is not in the agent configuration database, a new job will be created.

If the jobs on the computers doesn't have the same job ID, your script should do the following on each computer:
- export the configuration
- change the setting
- import the xml file again

May I ask, why you don't use the service provider console (or VBR) to manage these agents?
Both products would allow you to manage these agents on a single interface.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
keironbell
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Keiron Bell

Re: Importing XML to edit job configuration

Post by keironbell »

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for your response!

Ah, that is good news. I will keep looking into it then! I have test servers running the agent so I will keep playing and try and import the XML back in.

Yeah, that was my plan.

Script will run against each agent.
Export the Configuration
Script will edit the Config file to remove the "Personal Items" selection
Script will import the XML again

We don't use VBR as this is happening with tenants that backup directly using agents to our Cloud Connect (no local VBR possible in some cases). We do actively use Service Provider Console, however, we found that we cannot remove the "Personal Items" option, without removing "Operating System" too. The other reason, I wanted to do it with a script is, even with Service Provider Console, its a manual task of editing each job. Whereas, if I can script it, I hit one button and it does it all in the background.

Cheers,
Keiron