christian.naenny
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Christian Naenny

Feature request: file level restore from snapshot backup via agent CLI

Post by christian.naenny »

Hello everyone,

I'm surprised, I have not found anything regarding this idea:
It would be extremely handy if I could restore single files from snapshot based backups within the guest OS using a command line.
This could be done with a Veeam Agent installed in the guest OS that connects to the Veeam B&R Server where the desired restore point is mounted and the files are made available to the agent in the guest OS.
Our Linux Engineers would be extremely happy if they had this feature at their disposal! :-)
Please let me know if the idea is not yet clear enough. I would elaborate on the scenario in more details!

Best regards,
Christian
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Feature request: file level restore from snapshot backup via agent CLI

Post by Mildur »

Hi Christian

Is this question about restoring from a storage snapshots? Or VMs backed up as a vm backup job?

You could use Veeam Agent for Linux. You can restore files directly as linux server admin within a managed Linux Agent.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50

Another option is using Veeam Enterprise Manager. It can be used to restore files back to a linux machine.
There are some preparations required for non-windows restores:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Thank you
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
christian.naenny
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Christian Naenny

Re: Feature request: file level restore from snapshot backup via agent CLI

Post by christian.naenny »

Hi Fabian,

Let me explain the situation with a bit more details.
So far we only use Veeam to backup our VMs on multiple VMware ESXi Clusters. I have created multiple Jobs to perform all the necessary backups.
We have NOT used any Veeam agent to backup any Windows or Linux clients (VMs) so far.
But my question is: is it possible to use the agent on a Linux VM to retrieve files from a VM backup by a job created on the Veeam B&R server (no Veeam agent involved whatsoever!)?

And yes, I know about the possibility to use the Enterprise Manager. But in our with our tight security restrictions, this is NOT an option as this means the EM Server needs network access to ALL VMs. Our IT security said no to this! But a Veeam Agent would make it possible to open the network connection FROM the agent TO the Veeam Server which would be OK.

Best regards,
Christian