Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ian0x0r
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Ian Sanderson

V6 Patch 3 potential issue

Post by ian0x0r »

Has anyone else seen their Veeam proxy servers set to Direct SAN access mode exclusivly, start to try and run HotAdd mode and then failover to NBD after applying Patch 3 to V6?

I know this is probably a support call, just wanted to see if anyone else is having similair issues. Im getting this on a V6 install upgraded from patch 1, then patch 2 and then patch 3 and a clean V6 install in a completley different environment with patch 3 applied. Remote proxy refuses to work with Direct SAN mode.

Thanks,

Ian
Check out my blog at www.snurf.co.uk :D
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: V6 Patch 3 potential issue

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ian,
ian0x0r wrote:Remote proxy refuses to work with Direct SAN mode.
Are you trying to backup VMs on the remote site through the SAN mode? Just wanted to verify that we are NOT talking about replication job and target proxy, which writes data to DR storage.
ian0x0r
Veeam Vanguard

Post by ian0x0r »

Hi Vitaliy,

In the first instance im talking about a local proxy used for backup, if I look through previous job logs it always used Direct SAN mode before applying patch 3. The other instance I have a remote proxy at a DR location. It is a VM but I have mapped the local datastores at the DR site into the VM using iSCSI. I am using the proxy initially to run new replication jobs using V5 replicas as seeds. If I explicity set the proxy to Direct SAN mode, it fails over to NBD mode when creating the disk data digest. If I allow anymode, then it will use HotAdd (because its a VM). I wouldhave thought if it can use HotAdd mode at the DR side then it could use Direct SAN access mode as well.

Thanks,

Ian
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Ian, Direct SAN mode cannot be used to populate replica VMs on target host. It could be either hotadd or NBD.
Regarding your local proxy, it seems that Direct SAN mode is not available for some reason. Are you sure you haven't changed anything in your environment recently but applying patch3?
ian0x0r
Veeam Vanguard

Post by ian0x0r »

Hi,

I am pretty sure nothing else has changed, I will need to confirm though that this is the case. The server its self acting as the proxy only had the transport updated applied. Does the proxy server require a reboot for this to take affect correctly?

Im still not sure why you cant use direct SAN access mode to get a lock on the replica VM at the target side though, is there a reference to this somewhere that I would be able to read up on please?

Thanks,

Ian
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

ian0x0r wrote:Does the proxy server require a reboot for this to take affect correctly?
Reboot is not required.
ian0x0r wrote:Im still not sure why you cant use direct SAN access mode to get a lock on the replica VM at the target side though, is there a reference to this somewhere that I would be able to read up on please?
Only hotadd and NBD modes are supported for writing data to the target destination (this is covered in documentation). Note that you cannot select the mode to be used, it is selected automatically based on the proxy configuration (whenever possible, the hotadd mode is used).