Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TimWalker
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Walker

Viewing Exchange Server SMTP logs?

Post by TimWalker »

Had something come up...

One of the staff here should have received an email on the 1st September but seems certain they didn't, and this is a legal matter that is now rather late.

Reviewing the logs of our spam filter, and our exchange server (using get-messagetrackinglog on powershell) I discovered that our logs only go back a month :lol:

Of course we have a full backup, from the 4th September in veeam, and I can see no sign of the email in that persons mailbox/deleted items, so I'm reasonably confident they didn't receive it... but it would be really nice to be sure :D

I span up instant recovery and found that I couldn't run the powershell commandlets as the server can't authenticate against AD.

I span up instant recovery on a DC also, let them talk to each other on a private switch, and they still wouldn't talk, presumably something about the amount of time passed since the backup.

I guess I could set the clock on my backup server (where I'm spinning up the instant recoveries on hyper-v) back to september and try again, but that feels a bit risky on a working backup server....

Any ideas? Is there some easier way I'm missing with Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange?
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Re: Viewing Exchange Server SMTP logs?

Post by Regnor » 1 person likes this post

You could start a file level recovery and manually dig through the SMTP(if enabled) and Messagetracking log files.
Those logs can be found in the Transportroles folder, either under Messagetracking or Frontend\SmtpReceive
TimWalker
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Walker

Post by TimWalker »

That was the trick, mounted the backup and used Notepad++ to find in files on that directory (TransportRoles\Logs\FrontEnd\ProtocolLog\SmtpReceive), found many emails coming in for the person in question but not the missing one, so can now be certain it was never received.

Cheers
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

Glad you were able to find the necessary logs.
One thing you should keep in mind with the spam filter; if it would have blocked the mail or if there would have been some connection error from the external sender, you won't see anything in the Exchange logs.