Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
IanBolton
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: IanE

Backup copy jobs to immutable SOBR

Post by IanBolton » 1 person likes this post

Hi

We have 2 x SOBR, Primary site is Windows with VBR installed. DR Site is Linux with immutability.
Backup jobs wrote to PrimarySOBR
backup copy job is configured to copy PrimarySOBR to SecondarySOBR (ie. entire repo).

It was configured this way for simplicity and safety - we would not need to configure a secondary destination / backup copy job for each new backup job we created.

However

It seems that this doesnt scale too well when there are large numbers of VMs in the repository.

Eg. Backup job 1 contains 160 VMs
BackupJob2 contains 20 VMs.
Both write to PrimarySOBR
and are copied to SecondarySOBR

One issue is that when browsing backups, by going to Backups\Disk(Copy) I see one job and select properties I see 1yr worth of restore points for EVERY VM I've backed up, and it takes a LONG TIME to populate.

If I wanted to change this, and create a separate Backup Copy job to copy each initial backup job, does it start again with a new Full, to start a new 'chain' at the SecondarySOBR?

Hope this makes sense...
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup copy jobs to immutable SOBR

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
It seems that this doesnt scale too well when there are large numbers of VMs in the repository.
depends what "large" is. 160 is fine and if you see issues with that, please log a support case and post the support case number for reference. If you said 1,600 VMs in one job, I would recommend to split, but 160 is no problem from the software side.
One issue is that when browsing backups, by going to Backups\Disk(Copy) I see one job and select properties I see 1yr worth of restore points for EVERY VM I've backed up, and it takes a LONG TIME to populate.
sounds like too little resources on the SQL database (e.g. SQL express running on 1 vCPU instead of 4 cores). that's independent from backup copy jobs or Hardened Repository

New job = new chain.

Best regards,
Hannes
IanBolton
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: IanE

Re: Backup copy jobs to immutable SOBR

Post by IanBolton »

sounds like too little resources on the SQL database (e.g. SQL express running on 1 vCPU instead of 4 cores). that's independent from backup copy jobs or Hardened Repository
VBR Runs with SQL Express on a phys server (part of the Primary SOBR) and is dual socket 40core.

New job = new chain.
That's as I suspected, :( thanks.