Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rafaelm
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rafael Manochio

Slow and large database vm backup.

Post by rafaelm »

Good morning everyone!

I've been experiencing strange behavior in backup jobs involving databases for a long time (Veeam Backup and Replication 10 - Enterprise - VSphere 6.5 - Normal Daily backup Job from Unity 400 storage to Dell Data-Domain 6300 deduplicated storage).

The vast majority of my VM backups take around 5 to 10 minutes to complete, however, database VMs, especially those with PostgreSQL, take around an hour and a half to complete.
In addition, the backups are also much larger, some with a file size of 300GB, with the entire database having less than that and we certainly haven't had even close to that in database changes between backups.

What am I doing wrong?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Slow and large database vm backup.

Post by PetrM »

Hi Rafael,

Most likely backups became larger because VMware CBT returned us a big array of changed blocks to read, probably, besides DB itself there is another activity that produces changes at the level of guest OS file system. For the performance issue, I would have a look at the "bottleneck" statistics to find the slowest data flow stage.

Thanks!
rafaelm
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rafael Manochio

Re: Slow and large database vm backup.

Post by rafaelm » 1 person likes this post

Hi Petr!

Thanks for the reply!

I will check why we have such a large array of changed blocks in our database VMs.