Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jcofin13
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Restored Virtual machine with same settings but wont backup now

Post by jcofin13 »

WE had one of our virtual machines get corrupted for whatever reason.

WE restored the VM with veeam with the same settings.....entire vm.

This all went fine.

The backup ran again the following night but failed saying that vm is no longer available. The job fails and states "Virtual Machine <VM NAME> is unavailable and will be skipped from processing.

It is still defined in the job but veeam cant seem to see the newly restored vm is the same as the old vm we restored.

Does the guid or identifier change or something? DO i need to add the newly restored vm back to the job again becuase of this ? If i click the "edit settings" on the job i can see the vm listed under "virtual machines" but it lists as 0 bytes. "Recalculate" doesnt do anything. DO i need to remove and readd it to pick up the restored vm?

This is very odd. IF i do remove and readd it........i assume it will start a whole new backup of that vm and the history will still be there but start a new chain based on the newly restored vm?
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Re: Restored Virtual machine with same settings but wont backup now

Post by rennerstefan »

Yes the morefID will be different and with that the VM is new to VMware and veeam.
Just re-add it to the job an it will work again.
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
jcofin13
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Re: Restored Virtual machine with same settings but wont backup now

Post by jcofin13 »

Thanks. I figured that might be the case as the job will remove/delete the existing vm and then "restore". I just wasnt sure if there was some magic under the hood that kept the ID of the vm somehow on restore.

Thank you for the prompt reply / clarification.