Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
xmzmc
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Required O365 permissions for modern authentication?

Post by xmzmc »

Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 6.0.0.367

Hi,

Like others we were forced to swap from legacy authentication to modern authentication by Microsoft. Not necessarily a bad thing ofcourse but I have some problems with swapping to modern authentication for our Exchange Online backup.

Problem:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=60
As soon as I complete the login step at Step 6. Log In to Microsoft 365 it fails in Veeam with the error "one or more errors occurred". The account I'm using has the O365 role Exchange Administrator which used to be enough. Apparently this is not enough anymore. When I make this account O365 Global Admin I can complete all steps without any errors.

Question:
Can we set a less powerful O365 role to the account we are using for Veeam like we had before as for example Exchange Administrator. If yes, which O365 role does it need to have on a minimal level?

Thanks in advance.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2327 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Required O365 permissions for modern authentication?

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi

A user with the Exchange Administrator role cannot register AzureAD application.
Global Administrator is only required once to add or update the organization. As soon the application is registered or updated, the global administrator permissions are not required anymore.
There are a few exceptions like register backup applications or registering AzureAD application for the restore portal and azure service account (object storage on Azure).

We have created a KB article on how to switch to modern auth only. On the kb there is also link to the user guide with the required permissions:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... ns_sd.html
Global Administrator — required for adding organizations with modern app-only authentication, creating backup applications, registering Azure AD application for Restore Portal and creating Azure AD application for the Microsoft Azure service account.
Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
xmzmc
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Re: Required O365 permissions for modern authentication?

Post by xmzmc »

Thanks for your reply and clear answer. I will go ahead and remove GA than. Have nice day!