Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
crackocain
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Mehmet Istanbullu

Std or dvSwitch Port Group Sync

Post by crackocain »

Hello

I want ask about how you can manage production esxi host port groups and disaster esxi host port groups? Replication scenario.
For example in the production distributed switch you have 2000 port groups. You have same port groups name in the disaster distributed switch. (Same as Standart vSwitch)

These port groups needs to be in sync. I don't mean mapping network feature.

How is this process managed thousands VLANs? (Port Groups)
For example maybe 3rd party application checks both distributed switches via API and detect missing port groups. After that send create port group script in the disaster distributed switch.

Thank you.
Origin 2000
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times

Re: Std or dvSwitch Port Group Sync

Post by Origin 2000 »

1. The vDS should be the same on both sites/locations
2. You can export/import a vDS(sounds not suitable if there already VMs on the disaster site)
3. A few lines of powershell code will do the job(create missing PGs)

With a high automatization grade i would assume that if a PG is created on the production site the Orchestration tool also create the one on the disaster site.

Regards,
Joerg
crackocain
Service Provider
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Mehmet Istanbullu

Post by crackocain »

Hello Origin

Thank you for your answer

1. This option needs to be single vcenter. We use two vcenter (PR and DR vcenter) for better availability and security.
2. This option not automatically as you say.
3. Powershell and compare script is the only option i guess.
segfault
Enthusiast
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: John Garner

Post by segfault »

This is one of the annoyances of the current replication configuration.

If you are replicating between vCenters then you have to manually map every source and target network. The automatic mapping will fail since you are not under the same vCenter.

In our case, we use cisco ACI with VMM integration (Multi-pod with distributed APICs). So the underlying network keeps the two vCenters in sync.

It would be great if we could just configure it to auto match by name when crossing vCenter servers. Basically a system where a network on the prod side gets mapped to the network on the DR side if there is a vDS/vDPG pair with a matching name.

Until then I'll be hitting up my veeam rep to see if somebody already has a ps script to do this before I go through the brain damage of writing it myself.