Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
jfs
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: John Stoffel

Can I copy RMAN jobs with Veeam Cloud Copy in V11?

Post by jfs »

Hi,
I'm a new Veeam Admin and I'm trying to setup our Veeam v11 instance to copy jobs using the Veeam Cloud Copy to an S3 Cloud provider. This is working just fine for my regular backup jobs, but I can't see any way to take Oracle RMAN plug-in jobs which are run by the Oracle DBA on the Oracle host, to allow them to be copied to the Cloud. In the docs at this URL https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110 there is a big note that:
IMPORTANT

For Veeam Plug-in backup copy jobs, you cannot select a Veeam Cloud Connect repository as a backup copy target.
Do I need to have my DBA run his RMAN jobs as two seperate jobs pointing at both my local file repository, and also to my cloud repository? Is there no way to be able to copy a job from the disk repository to the cloud? Or does that copy need to be setup and configured at the Oracle Plug-in end of things?

John
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Can I copy RMAN jobs with Veeam Cloud Copy in V11?

Post by Mildur »

Hi John

Do we talk about Veeam Cloud Connect or a SOBR with object storage (s3, aws or azure blob)? They are different target repositories types.

Object storage will work for rman plugin backup files.
Please see the limitations:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... acity-tier

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jfs
Novice

Post by jfs »

So I've just tried setting up a SOBR, since I figured that would let me copy the data in the local repo to the cloud, but no luck. I got a message when I tried to at the Repo holding the Oracle RMAN backups which said:

"Unable to add extent VEEAM_REP_01 because it contains one or more backup files which are not supported by a scale-out backup repository."

So I have to admit that I find the fact that the Oracle RMAN Plug-in does basically *everything* from the Oracle side only is great for the DBAs, but the fact that I can't touch the data, migrate the data to a new Repository, copy it to the cloud or put it into a SOBR really really really frustrating.

Any thoughts?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

"Unable to add extent VEEAM_REP_01 because it contains one or more backup files which are not supported by a scale-out backup repository."
Have you configured the configuration backup to the same repository?
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jfs
Novice

Post by jfs »

I think I need to build a new SOBR dedicated repository, then try to add the RMAN plug-in config to point at that new repository. And unfortunately I don't control it, it's all by the Oracle DBA. We will see.

Anyone else who has figured out the best process for setting up a way to take backups from the Oracle RMAN Plug-in and send them to a local and remote repos, please chime in!
MColeman
Novice
Full Name: Mark C

Post by MColeman »

Hey - I'm relatively new to Veeam and I work on the DBA side. I tried the following:
Create a SOBR with the "immediately copy performance tier to capacity tier"
But - when I try to configure the RMAN plug in to point to that repository it doesn't show it - which is what you encountered

Have you considered a Backup Copy Job which looks for your RMAN backups and copies them into the SOBR for tiering to the cloud? Just a thought.
MColeman
Novice
Full Name: Mark C

Post by MColeman »

Just an update - You can get your RMAN backups to the cloud this way.
Setup an SOBR that automatically copies backups to the capacity tier, which is your object storage.
Configure the access permissions on that SOBR so the user you use from the RMAN plug in can see it

On the Oracle server - run OracleRMANConfigTool --set-repositories and choose your new SOBR
cat the veeam_config.xml file to get the repository id

In the RMAN script set the channels to use the repository
allocate channel t1 device type 'sbt_tape' parms 'SBT_LIBRARY=/opt/veeam/VeeamPluginforOracleRMAN/libOracleRMANPlugin.so' FORMAT '<your repository id>/RMAN_%I_%d_%T_%U.vab';
allocate channel t2 device type 'sbt_tape' parms 'SBT_LIBRARY=/opt/veeam/VeeamPluginforOracleRMAN/libOracleRMANPlugin.so' FORMAT '<your repository id>/RMAN_%I_%d_%T_%U.vab';
allocate channel t3 device type 'sbt_tape' parms 'SBT_LIBRARY=/opt/veeam/VeeamPluginforOracleRMAN/libOracleRMANPlugin.so' FORMAT '<your repository id>/RMAN_%I_%d_%T_%U.vab';

Run the RMAN scripted backup. The backup will go to the performance tier, then get automatically copied to the capacity tier object storage.

Good Luck!
Mark
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Repositories can not be added to a Scale out Repository when there are pug-in backup present on the Repository.
This is something we want to address in an upcoming version.

As you stated create a new SOBR, allow the user the access to the SOBR under the Agent Access rights (right click on SOBR menu). Then go to the plug-in configuration wizard and point the backups to the other scale out repository. Let the Admin create a new backup chain starting with a full backup. This SOBR can be enabled with Capacity Tier and data will be migrated based on the policy. Or you can manually start the transfer for a test.

Maybe test it with a non productive system that you familiarize yourself with the process.

Likely v12 will bring additional options about import, but for now this is the way.