Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
joebranca
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Joe Brancaleone

Replicating VMs with TPM / Bitlocker?

Post by joebranca »

I'm new to this scenario that was just deployed. What are the known issues/limitations to doing this? So far I see the re-IP upon failover doesn't work, which makes sense since the offline VM can't have any data changes to the OS disk presumably. We also came across WIndows DC replicas coming online with incorrect Windows time (exactly 8 hours ahead of PST instead of what it says its set to, PST), which it appears to be getting from the CMOS clock (failover in a bubble with no access to NTP server). However a Veeam replication/failover should not have any effect on the CMOS clock correct?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Replicating VMs with TPM / Bitlocker?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the limitations are listed in the user guide

While I personally would avoid replicating domain controllers (I so old enough to remember USN rollbacks), I cannot remember anything around wrong clock. Do you have a Veeam support case number for that observation?

Best regards,
Hannes
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Replicating VMs with TPM / Bitlocker?

Post by Andreas Neufert »

We do not take care about any clock related things. The operating system will start and get from whatever is configured the time. First this will be from the hardware at boot. Which in this case is emulated by the virtualization host. I would check the time settings there. If the OS is started then this time might change based on NTP or other time settings within Windows. So it is mor of a question for the Windows Admin.

If disk is encrypted, we can not set the reIP settings as we do not have access to the registry.