Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
adam900331
Veteran
Liked: 22 times

Veeam shutdown Oracle database during backup

Post by adam900331 »

Hy!

I use an Oracle Database 12c (12.2.0.1.0) version on Windows Server VM and I backup the VM with agent. I use the application aware processing without Process transaction logs with this job:
https://ibb.co/jMn3hbd

There is an account which is used for application aware processing. This account is added to the server local administrator group and the ORA_DBA group. When the backup job start, after 3 minutes the Oracle databases shutting down and after some minutes starts again. The database administrator check the logs and when start the backup the backup session run a "SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE" command:

LENGTH: '291' ACTION :[18] 'SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE' DATABASE USER:[1] '/' PRIVILEGE :[6] 'SYSDBA' CLIENT USER:[18] 'domain\AAIP' CLIENT TERMINAL:[10] 'DB_SRV' STATUS:[1] '0' DBID:[0] '' SESSIONID:[10] '4294967295' USERHOST:[18] 'domain\db-uat' CLIENT ADDRESS:[0] '' ACTION NUMBER:[3] '139' .

That's why use agent to avoid the VM freezing when Veeam create snapshot.

How can I avoid to prevent shutdown database during backup?

Thanks.
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Re: Veeam shutdown Oracle database during backup

Post by Regnor »

Check with your database administrator if the Oracle DB is running in NOARCHIVELOG mode. If so, before backup Veeam will shutdown the database in order to create a consistent backup.
adam900331
Veteran

Post by adam900331 »

Okay, the administrator will checked it. But if the DB is running in NOARCHIVE mode, how and what can I config the Veeam backup job to create consistent backup wothout shutdown the DBs?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

There's nothing you can do as it's not supported by Oracle to backup a NOARCHIVE mode DB while it's running.
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

Like Anton said there's nothing from Veeam's side you can configure. Either the Oracle DB is configured to run in archivelog mode, or Veeam needs to shutdown the DB.
adam900331
Veteran

Post by adam900331 »

Thanks for reply, I will inform the database administrator.