Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lampshade
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Backup Job Question

Post by lampshade »

Hello..

When making a new backup job and adding VM's to the job (Example - 30 VM's). Is it possible to only process 5 jobs at a time at once?? The reason I ask is we are migrating from an existing backup platform, thus all new backups will need to be "Full" backups. I do not want to add 30 VM's then have veeam process all 20-30 at once because our storage environment will take quite the hit - I am just being cautious here - we are backing up using storage snapshots here (Dell Powerstore) or do I make the job and add 5 VM's at a time then let it run and keep adding VM's. Right now our proxy is setup for handle 28 "Concurrent Tasks". Currently when backing up 5 VM's our throughput on the proxy was around 2.8-2.0 Gbps. Response time on SAN fluctuate between 2-4ms ( we average less then 1ms response time). Any thoughts or suggestions?
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Re: Backup Job Question

Post by chris.childerhose »

You would need to add 5 VMs at a time and allow them to complete but keep in mind when you add the following 5, there is a Full for them plus an Incremental for the original 5, and that will be each time you add 5 more VMs. Or you can create separate jobs if you like with only 5 VMs unless you need them all in one job.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
keironbell
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Keiron Bell

Post by keironbell » 1 person likes this post

Is there a reason you need to add all 30 VM's to one job? Could you not create multiple jobs and possible group them logically? I.e App server job, domain controllers job, file server jobs?
lampshade
Influencer
Liked: 4 times

Post by lampshade » 2 people like this post

No reason really.. Multiple job's would work and I could just stagger them to kick them off. I may have to re-think my strategy.. just looking some input/suggestions. I was told "job's" support "many" vm's per job.. but when its a new solution and you have 200 or so VM's that will need a "full" right off the bat you have to be careful.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2281 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

If you use Per-Machine Backup Files, we recommend not adding more then 300 VMs to the job.
For per-job backup files, not more than 30 VMs should be added to a single job.
Is it possible to only process 5 jobs at a time at once??
Just set your proxy server to only allow 5 concurrent tasks until the initial backup is over. 1 Task on the proxy is processing one virtual disk.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... up-proxies

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software