Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
limerock
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Joe Jankowiak

Backup hyperv to offsite server?

Post by limerock »

I have a local HyperV server with 3 VM's. I also have an offsite Windows server that I want to use to use as a backup destination. I'm using the Community Edition of Veeam Backup & Replication.

What would be the best way to do this? In Veeam, I see the only options for external repository is AWS, Google, Azure. Is there a good way to backup to a remote windows server?

I have been playing around with VPNing my remote server to my main network but I like the isolation of them being on different networks. My current attempt to do this was setting up Veeam to run a prescript to connect to the VPN so its only connected while its backing up. I'm running into issues with this solution though and getting the VPN to connect via a prerun script.

Is there a way to have my local main server run the backup, but use my remote desktop as the repository? I have a dedicated IP address for my remote server.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2895 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup hyperv to offsite server?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

If you are new, I recommend starting with the quick start guide
Is there a good way to backup to a remote windows server?
yes, you can add the Windows machine as managed server and add the repository role

Best regards,
Hannes
limerock
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Joe Jankowiak

Post by limerock »

Thank you for confirming this is possible and letting me know to add it as a repository role. I did not realize I needed to first add the server as a "file share" under "inventory" to get it to show up in the backup repository. I believe I got it all setup the way I want now and is much easier than trying to temporarily VPN.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2895 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I did not realize I needed to first add the server as a "file share" under "inventory" to get it to show up in the backup repository.
hmm, that's not really what I tried to say... "file shares" in "inventory" are for NAS backup (SMB / NFS shares hosted on NAS devices). Repositories are in the "Backup infrastructure".

Physical servers would be backed up with agents. Virtual machines directly from the hypervisor (see quick start guide)

Best regards,
Hannes