Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
BackItUp2020
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: M.S.

VM Backups Out-of-Order when one VM uses NBD.

Post by BackItUp2020 »

Hi there!
I have a backup job where the virtual machine selection list is actually all of our Nimble array LUNS, in a specific order. For example, VOL_TIER_1, followed by VOL_TIER_2, then VOL_TIER_3.

These backups are storage-integrated.
Things work as expected, VMs are processed in the order they appear on these LUNs in the selection list.

Recently, I have added another volume, from another array, called VOL_JUNK, to the backup selection list, at the bottom. This volume (purposefully) can not use storage-integrated backups, so it fails over to NBD.

I would expect that the processing of these volumes would be the same, however, Veeam seems to do some storage snaps, kicks off a bunch of backups from VOL_TIER_1, but for some reason it also starts backing up the VM that sits on the VOL_JUNK LUN way down the list.

Any idea on why this behavior would occur?

I hope that was easy enough to follow.

Thanks!
BackItUp2020
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: M.S.

Re: VM Backups Out-of-Order when one VM uses NBD.

Post by BackItUp2020 »

I may have found my answer already.

Feel free to confirm or not, but for those who are curious...

"The processing order may differ from the order that you have defined. For example, if resources of a VM that is higher in the priority are not available, and resources of a VM that is lower in the priority are available, Veeam Backup & Replication will process the VM with the lower priority first."
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: VM Backups Out-of-Order when one VM uses NBD.

Post by foggy »

Exactly. Likely there's some other proxy capable of NBD that is sitting idle while storage integrated volumes are being processed, so can be used in parallel.