Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
vky
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Slow health check after changing repository to NFS

Post by vky »

Case # 05721824

For one large copy job in particular, after changing the backups to use a NFS repository the health check is taking triple the amount of time it did before. It was already taking between 30 and 40 hours and now is at over 90 hours. The repository is on a QNAP NAS and was previously being accessed over SMB. I turned on NFS for the share and added it as a new repository, then changed the backup jobs to use the new NFS repository. Any thoughts on what may be going on?

Thank you
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 79 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Re: Slow health check after changing repository to NFS

Post by karsten123 »

im sorry but qnap is schmutz
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

Neither SMB nor NFS are good protocols for a Veeam repository. They're slow and especially SMB not so reliable. Combined with a consumer grade NAS, the performance could be expected. Health Check is one of the most resource intensive tasks and puts heavy load on the repository.

In terms of stability I would go with iSCSI if you'll have to use such a NAS; but this won't increase the performance.
vky
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by vky »

Thanks for chiming in, but these are well known talking points on this forum in particular. My post history might bely how long I've been a reader on these forums. As is so often the case in IT operations we get truly "stuck" with management decisions on resources available. I am aware that these NAS products are not ideal, but I don't have a choice but to use them for now. I assure you that I will be working to make a change as soon as possible.

What I would like to talk about is why Health Check is taking three times longer using the same backup storage with NFS protocol instead of SMB. Does anyone have any ideas on that?