Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
MColeman
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark C

How to - One off full backup tiered to Glacier

Post by MColeman »

Hi,
I'm relatively new to Veeam and I'm still trying to wrap my head around some of the concepts. I have a requirement to make a one time full backup of some files that we just really need to keep for 2 years. Is there a fairly simple way of doing so?
Here's what I've done/tried:
Created an SOBR with performance + capacity in S3 + Glacier (not deep archive). I set this repository to automatically copy performance tier to capacity.

Created a file backup job to backup the files I wanted, pointed it to the SOBR and ran it. This worked well, I have the backup sitting in performance and capacity. The problem is it doesn't seem to move to Glacier. It sits in capacity tier.
Is there an easy way to tell Veeam - hey this backup can go straight to archive tier and doesn't have to sit in capacity?

Thanks!
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Re: How to - One off full backup tiered to Glacier

Post by ronnmartin61 »

There's no shortcut like you're probably asking for. To be archived the conditions listed in the following link must be met - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Have you closed the backup chain by taking a new active or synthetic full? Guessing your backup chain is still active...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: How to - One off full backup tiered to Glacier

Post by veremin »

Most likely the backup does not have a GFS flag assigned thus it doesn't get archived. More information about backup types supported for archival can be found here.

The simplest option will be to create a VeeamZIP backup and select the Scale-Out Backup Repository as its destination.

Thanks!