Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
wavemaker
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

VMware DR-Site with Veeam Replication

Post by wavemaker » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
I want to build up a DR-Site for an existing environment:

Datacenter A:
  • 3x vSphere 7 host (dual-CPU) with Essentials Plus licensing, ~50VMs
  • 1x SAN storage, ~30TiB
  • 1x physical Veeam v11 Server with 6 CPU licenses
Datacenter B (new DR-DC):
  • Single vSphere 7 host (dual-CPU) with internal discs
  • replicated VMs and few running VMs (Veeam, Domaincontroller, Fileserver-Replica, Firewall-Appliance, ...) but no Backup needs to be done here
  • the Veeam-VM will be used for proper handling of replicated VMs
I read several topics and guides and came to this conclusion:
  • Additional Veeam licenses are not needed -> only source hosts need to be licensed
  • I Do not need to manage the DR-Host with the same or any vCenter -> just a single standalone host
  • Additional VMware licenses are needed as there are running VMs on the DR-site. I don't need Features like HA, vMotion, etc. here because it is just a standalone host. Is "essentials" or "essentials plus" required for Veeam Replication to work or can i go with the free esxi?
  • Is WAN Accelerator a good idea as the datacenters are geographically separated? At what bandwidth-minimum is it needed? I do not expect a uncommonly high change-rate and the initial transfer will be done in the same DC
  • The replication works as an incremental forever -> so only incremental updates

Are my conclusions correct? Any other potential pitfalls I am currently not aware of? :mrgreen:

Best regards,
Bernd
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: VMware DR-Site with Veeam Replication

Post by veremin »

Additional Veeam licenses are not needed -> only source hosts need to be licensed
Correct
I Do not need to manage the DR-Host with the same or any vCenter -> just a single standalone host
Correct
I don't need Features like HA, vMotion, etc. here because it is just a standalone host. Is "essentials" or "essentials plus" required for Veeam Replication to work or can i go with the free esxi?
A paid vSphere license should be assigned to target host, free edition is not supported for such scenarios.
I do not expect a uncommonly high change-rate and the initial transfer will be done in the same DC
Then, you can start without WAN acceleration and enable it, if replication cycles don't end in the allotted time period.

Thanks!
wavemaker
Lurker
Liked: 1 time

Post by wavemaker »

Looks good!

I understand that I need a paid license. Would a "vSphere Essentials Kit" be sufficient?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It will, but you need to check with a VMware representative whether the second Essentials license is allowed. Thanks!
albertwt
Veeam Legend
Liked: 46 times

Post by albertwt »

Hi @wavemaker,

Let us know how you go with the required licenses. I'm curious to know it as well.
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */