Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
yathus
Influencer
Liked: never

Help me to choose between backup targets

Post by yathus »

Hello

I have to deploy 80 Windows Agents (Dekstop / Laptop) with Workstation Licence.

I have a Veeam Server V11 and i can use Shared Folder (Synology NAS) or Backup Repository (Same NAS with ISCSI LUN).

I found a functionnality difference : "Backup Cache", look like this option is really usefull for roaming user and we have some.

Is there any other difference ?

With Shared Folder, it's possible to copy directly backup on an external drive to restore quickly, with backup repository we have first to export backup right ?
With Shared Folder, we have to use credentials to secure access too.
With Backup repository, it will be slower i guess.

I try to find a matrix comparaison in this document : https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=50

This type of decision is always difficult, it commits for several years.

Best regards

Yathus
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Help me to choose between backup targets

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
which difference did you find for "Backup Cache" when it comes to NAS vs. Backup Repository?

From my point of view, the Backup Repository with iSCSI and XFS is the only option with the given hardware. SMB shares would struggle with merge operations. REFS is only supported with Window Server certified hardware (although it works from what I read on the forums).
With Shared Folder, it's possible to copy directly backup on an external drive to restore quickly, with backup repository we have first to export backup right ?
I don't understand the scenario, but overall I would say "no". The Veeam Repository has to be functional, then everything works "quickly" :-)
With Shared Folder, we have to use credentials to secure access too.
secure credentials also make sense for repositories :-)
With Backup repository, it will be slower i guess.
why do you think so? I would say the opposite, because XFS is doing block cloning

Best regards,
Hannes
yathus
Influencer

Post by yathus »

Hello Hannes,

If i choose "Shared Folder", the option "backup cache" is not available.

With Veeam, we have a baremetal backup, so we can restore this backup to a new computer (example Laptop broken) and from our test it quickest to copy backup file from NAS to SSD drive (Large Block Copy) then plug the SSD drive on the new computer with USB3 and restore from it with media recovery boot. When restoring directly from NAS, we have some lag.

We are using reFS for our VM backup and it's working.

It will be slowest because it will a VM Windows Server as Backup Repository VS direct Synology Shared Folder, it add some iSCSI traffic and Vmware Virtualization :

Code: Select all

Veeam Agent -> LAN -> ESX -> VM Veeam Server -> LAN -> VM Veeam Backup Repository -> LAN ISCSI -> NAS Synology.

Veeam Agent -> LAN -> NAS Synology.
Best Regards

Yathus
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
quickest to copy backup file from NAS to SSD drive (Large Block Copy) then plug the SSD drive on the new computer with USB3 and restore from it with media recovery boot.
for that scenario, NAS is the only option. Because if you use a Backup & Replication repository, then the bare metal restore must happen via a Backup & Replication repository. Copy & paste to a USB disk does not work.

I recommend to test for some weeks with a few devices. I guess you will not be happy with the merge operations via SMB protocol. If you are happy, then go for NAS :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
yathus
Influencer

Post by yathus »

Hello Hannes,

I think i found the cause about "backup cache"

I can create a Backup Repository stored on a NAS or directly attached disk but i can configure "Shared Folder" directly in Veeam Agent backup Task.

In the second case, the "Backup Cache" is not available, in the first case Backup cache is available.
infraerik
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by infraerik » 1 person likes this post

Just an additional option that is often overlooked. If your Synology has enough CPU and RAM, a better solution is use the Synology Hypervisor to deploy a Linux VM that is configured as a hardened repository using XFS.

Ref: https://infrageeks.com/post/2022-01-27. ... ology-nas/