Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
cerberus
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mirza

Anyone using Wasabi for VBO Object Storage? What has your experience been?

Post by cerberus »

We are exploring the option of using Wasabi S3 to offload our VBO data. Anyone gone down this route, what is your experience with Wasabi?

Any issues backing up and restoring? Our repository is about 20TB right now.

What options are there to protect against ransomware, are you using the compliance mode on the S3 repo?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Anyone using Wasabi for VBO Object Storage? What has your experience been?

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Cerberus
What options are there to protect against ransomware, are you using the compliance mode on the S3 repo?
It is not supported to enable object lock or versioning on a bucket with current versions of VB365.
Immutability will be supported in our next version (V7) for backup copy jobs.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mrowell
Novice
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Marcus Rowell

Post by mrowell »

Hi Cerberus.

We migrated from local JetDB storage to Wasabi Object Storage. We haven't seen any issues at all with Wasabi. Search the forum for tips and experience of the actual migration process, as there a few things you want to get right and it does take longer than you'll expect.

We don't have any locking or versioning enabled on Wasabi. As Fabian mentioned, we are waiting for that to be supported.

We leverage the Copy Job feature to make a second copy to another cloud provider.

I've also done testing cloning the entire Wasabi store to Azure blob storage, reconnecting it to a brand new VBO server and doing some test restores. Copying out of Wasabi was fast and free. I used rclone for the copy.

Marcus.
cerberus
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mirza

Post by cerberus »

Thanks, mrowell,

That last point helps a lot, knowing that if I lose my on-prem VBO instance/repository, I can re-install VBO and hook back into Wasabi S3 for restores; I'll do my own testing but good to hear from folks that have done this.

As for the migration, in my testing it seems all we need to do is attach the S3 as a copy destination to the existing repository - seems simple - i'll do some searching though as you pointed out.