Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
jcofin13
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

azure blob cleanup

Post by jcofin13 »

This might be a stupid question but some time ago we were testing azure blob storage with veeam. WE since disabled the azure repos we defined in veeam bnr (11a) by putting the repo into maintenance mode. We had backed up a bunch of stuff up there in testing but since it didnt support our needs at the time we stopped using it.

What is the best way to browse this data and remove it? I assume it has to be done from veeam itself but i dont know of a data browser for this in its interface.

Is it best just to grab the azure storage explorer app from MS and manually go in and purge the stuff or is there a better way so that veeam knows it has been done?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: azure blob cleanup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
If you want to remove all data, then it's irrelevant where / how you delete it (directly in Azure or in Veeam).
I assume it has to be done from veeam itself
yes, in the home section -> backups -> object storage (maybe orphaned) -> right click on the data an delete it

Best regards,
Hannes
jcofin13
Service Provider

Post by jcofin13 »

Thank you
I dont show an azure repo listed here. Thats odd. I suspect since it isnt listed here maybe it was cleaned up or removed but the storage in azure still remains consumed. I guess i need to look at the azure end and delete from there at this point. I do see it listed in Maintenance Mode under backup repositories.

I suspect if i "removed" the repository from here that the data would remain in azure and id have to go clean that up anway.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If a repository is switched into maintenance mode, all delete operations are prohibited on it.

Try to disable maintenance mode first and then remove backups.

If you are not comfortable with the described steps, you can always reach our support team for further assistance. \\Thanks!
jcofin13
Service Provider

Post by jcofin13 »

Thanks. I tried to take them out of maintenance mode on the veeam side. Still nothing showed up under Home-->backups-->object storage as far as backups go. Do i need to rescan the repo to get them to populate? I can see the other object storage we have....just not the azure repos we once had configured.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You can try to import backups from it to see whether there are indeed some remnants that can be deleted. However, it might be worth bringing this to the support team's attention, cause we think the backups (if existed) would be shown under the object storage node. Thanks!
jcofin13
Service Provider

Post by jcofin13 »

yup..i did a rescan but nothing. The repo itself shows 0 bytes now after the rescan but oddly azure still shows it consuming 6tb or more. I cant figure out where the data is in azure to view it or confirm it. The data itself is most certainly veeam data as this storage account and repo was purpose built for veeam. Im still searching the 1000s of nonsense folders using the azure storage explorer so maybe something his hiding in here somewhere. Oddly from the azure interface and the folder in the repo itself you can go to properties of the folder and click "calculate storage" to have it show you your consumed usage and it comes back as only a few gb. Its very confusing to say the least.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Was it a rescan on the method I mentioned previously (which includes importing backups from the object storage repository)? I'd still suggest working with the support team, cause hardly can we investigate the reasons for the unexpected product behavior over forum correspondence. Thank you for your understanding.