JChen522
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jimmy Chen

Back up Recoverable Items

Post by JChen522 »

Support Case ID# 05735315

Trying to confirm something

In Exchange Online, there are couple places where deleted emails can end up.

"Deleted Items"
"Deletions" - inside Recoverable Items
"Purges" - inside Recoverable items

Let say there are emails in all three locations above and there is no prior Veeam Backup.

1. If I create a new backup job now, which items will be backed up as well?
I believe that Veeam Backup will backup emails in Deleted Items but is it also going to backup deleted emails in Recoverable Items such as "Deletions" or "Purges"? if so which?

See chart in the middle of the page on the link below
Recoverable Items folder in Exchange Online
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/excha ... ems-folder

2. What about the Options/Folders in Veeam M365, Sepecify mailbox folders to exclude form backups, does any of the checkboxes there such as In-Place Hold Items or Litigation Hold Items offer the ability to backup the stuff in Recoverable Items?

3. Also, the check box "Show items that have been deleted by user" and "Permanently Deleted Items" folder that shows up when exploring Exchange State, are those referring to files it discovered in the three deleted locations above or are those referring to all the detected deleted files across all the backups that ever happened from Veeam database/catalog?

When I restore a mailbox to exchange online, the "Permanently Deleted Items" seem to be restoring to the hidden Deletions folder in Outlook.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Back up Recoverable Items

Post by Mildur »

Hello Jchen
1. If I create a new backup job now, which items will be backed up as well?
I believe that Veeam Backup will backup emails in Deleted Items but is it also going to backup deleted emails in Recoverable Items such as "Deletions" or "Purges"? if so which?
2. What about the Options/Folders in Veeam M365, Sepecify mailbox folders to exclude form backups, does any of the checkboxes there such as In-Place Hold Items or Litigation Hold Items offer the ability to backup the stuff in Recoverable Items?
You should see in M365 permanently deleted items in the "Permanently Deleted Items" folder in our explorer when you restore the mailbox.
Do not exclude "Deleted Items". https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=60
3. Also, the check box "Show items that have been deleted by user" and "Permanently Deleted Items" folder that shows up when exploring Exchange State, are those referring to files it discovered in the three deleted locations above or are those referring to all the detected deleted files across all the backups that ever happened from Veeam database/catalog?
Your second guess is correct.
"Show items that have been deleted by user" will load items into the Veeam explorer which the user already deleted before the chosen restore point.
Imagine you choose to restore the backup from yesterday. You have daily backups in your backup repository of this user's mailbox for the last few months. The user deleted a few mails weeks ago. When you leave "Show items that have been deleted by user" unticked, you won't see these deleted mails in the restore session. But when you enable "Show items that have been deleted by user", VB365 will also load the deleted mails into the restore session. The Mails will be visible in the location where they were backed up. If you had backed up them in the inbox, you would see them in the inbox folder.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
JChen522
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jimmy Chen

Post by JChen522 »

Thank you!

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=60
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/excha ... ems-folder
On the link above, what about the checkboxes "In-Place Hold Items" and "Litigation Hold Items"?
Those are usually items in the "Recoverable Items" right?
1. If you Include "Deleted items", but yet exclude "In-Place Hold Items" and "Litigation Hold Items" which is default I believe, those items doesn't get backed up?
2. When you uncheck "In-Place Hold Items" and "Litigation Hold Items" by including them, does it create separate folders to hold those items when you explore them in Veeam? or does it show up in "Permanently Deleted Items"?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Jimmy
1. If you Include "Deleted items", but yet exclude "In-Place Hold Items" and "Litigation Hold Items" which is default I believe, those items doesn't get backed up?
Those folders will not be backed up then. Correct.
2. When you uncheck "In-Place Hold Items" and "Litigation Hold Items" by including them, does it create separate folders to hold those items when you explore them in Veeam? or does it show up in "Permanently Deleted Items"?
Yes, you will see these two folders in the Veeam Explorer for Exchange:

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software